Purdue’s most highly-touted 2013 football commitment plans to graduate mid-term and enroll at Purdue in the spring.

Four-star quarterback prospect Danny Etling from Terre Haute, Ind., said he needs to get his body ready for Purdue football as soon as possible and foresees Purdue’s quarterback situation presenting an opportunity for early playing time for him.

“I know they’re losing two quarterbacks (Robert Marve and Caleb TerBush), so that could work in my favor,” Etling said.

Etling’s recruitment exploded after he was one of 25 quarterbacks nationwide who qualified for the finals of the Elite 11 QB Camp in Southern California. At the camp, he worked with former Super Bowl MVP quarterback Trent Dilfer and was filmed for a series that appeared on ESPN.

“It was an awesome experience,” Etling said. “I was competing against the top quarterbacks in the country, and I think I stacked up pretty well with them. The coaches all had good things to say to me.”

Etling’s high school football career at Terre Haute South recently came to a close with a first-round sectional loss. He battled a high ankle sprain and bruised ribs through his senior season, but still managed to throw for 1,503 yards and 11 touchdowns.

“I didn’t want to miss any games,” Etling said. “I wanted to get the job done for my team.”

Terre Haute South accumulated an 8-22 record in Etling’s three years as a starter facing one of the toughest schedules in Indiana as a member of the Metropolitan Interscholastic Conference.

Etling said while he didn’t put up the biggest stats or win as many games as he would have liked, he’s grateful for the competition he faced.

“I think I will definitely benefit from it down the road,” Etling said. “Everybody has to adjust to Big Ten football eventually and playing in the MIC helped prepare me for that.”

Etling’s high school coach Mark Raetz described Etling as a big, strong quarterback who has the ability to make any throw on the field.

Raetz added Etling’s personality and demeanor are at times even more impressive than the physical tools he possesses.

“He is a hard worker who always has an upbeat and positive outlook on situations--even when things aren’t necessarily going well,” Raetz said. “He has outstanding character and leadership skills as well.”

Etling has watched nearly every Purdue game this fall and is impressed with how hard the team plays.

“It seems like they’re just missing a few pieces here and there,” Etling said. “They have a great new defensive coordinator in Tim Tibesar ... they have a lot of talent on offense. Hopefully we’ll be able to throw the ball downfield more when I’m there, but it’s whatever Coach Nord wants.”