Library soon to offer 24-hour 5-day-a-week study space. - Purdue Exponent: Home

Library soon to offer 24-hour 5-day-a-week study space.

Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 10:00 am

In response to students asking for more 24-hour study spaces, $19,200 was allocated to Hicks Underground Library to make students’ wishes a possibility.

The Student Fee Advisory Board allocated $572,000 to Hicks Library and eight other campus organizations from the $20 Student Health and Wellness Center Fee for certain purposes. Joe Rust, Purdue student government president, said the student activity fee helps promote the organizations’ services.

“We want the student activity fee to not only fund student programs but to kind of encourage and show the values of the services,” Rust said. “Offices and departments will eventually pay for these (if they are successful). The student activity fee can encourage more programs that students can take advantage of.”

James Mullins, dean of Purdue libraries, said Hicks’ full year grant will serve the primary funds for the extra staff needed for the 24-hour five-day-a-week, Monday through Friday, space. Mullins said the area will have computers and printers to satisfy the needs of the students any hour of the day.

“After midnight, when the library typically closes, that space will still be open,” he said. “We wanted to have it student-supervised. The student (employees) will be there during the night, midnight to seven in the morning, to make sure that everything is taken care of and safe.”

Mullins received every penny he asked for.

“It’s the right amount,” he said. “When you divide $19,200 by the salary per hour for a year for nine months, that’s not a lot of money. We look forward to monitoring the use of that space and hope it will meet a need students expressed as a great concern.”

The Hicks study space will be a test run for the first year because the requested funds were nonrecurring. In order to ensure this space will be worth the department to fund in future years, Mullins said the space usage will be recorded on various aspects such as how many students used the space and how many student employees were needed to supervise the space.

“We’ll be using this as a way for us to assess the need and the use of the 24-hour space and how effective and necessary it’s been to have students working there as supervisors,” he said.

In your opinion, what is the most important factor in Purdue's chance to make a bowl game in 2015?

Have more thoughts? We encourage you to write us a letter to the editor, emailed to