College of Health and Human Sciences looks forward to new developments - Purdue Exponent: Campus

College of Health and Human Sciences looks forward to new developments

Posted: Wednesday, December 8, 2010 11:00 am | Updated: 2:33 pm, Wed Dec 8, 2010.

The dean of the new Health and Human Sciences College is full of optimism about her great challenge of managing change.

The College of Health and Human Sciences was created in July with departments from the former College of Family and Consumer Sciences, among others. Christine Ladisch, the former vice provost of academic affairs, was made dean of the new college.

"With change comes opportunity - that's the great side of this," said Ladisch. "Keeping the balance, keeping focus on opportunity and not getting carried away with the stress of change is one of the biggest challenges I face."

There certainly has been a lot of change in the College of Health and Human Sciences. Connie Weaver, a professor and head of the department of foods and nutrition, is to be inducted into the National Institute of Medicine.

The central student services team of the College of Health and Human Sciences has grown and been relocated from its origin in Stone Hall to the first floor of Matthews Hall for more space and better service to students.

"(Students) like it here better. They don't feel so constrained," Sara Reichler, secretary of the new office, said. "It's been a good move."

The new college has also been working to expand its study abroad program. Li Ping Cai, associate dean of international programs, is working to pair up departments that do not have as much experience with study abroad with those that do.

"This fall we had a very successful and very big study abroad fair for the students. Hundreds of students showed up for this thing," Ladisch said.

So far, students have been making the switch from their original colleges to Health and Human Sciences well, according to Ladisch.

Ladisch said the office has "worked very hard to make this a seamless transition for the students."

"There have not been too many changes in my classes involved with the new college," said Elise Leung, a senior in the College of Health and Human Sciences. "The learning environment, as well as the way the classes are taught have not had a huge impact."

Health and Human Sciences is also "starting to address to question of are we going to have a Health and Human Sciences core curriculum," Ladisch said.

Ladisch said it is still unknown whether there will be a core curriculum for Health and Human Sciences, but the answer will be out within the next year.

The former dean of the College of Family and Consumer Sciences, Dennis Savaiano, has now been moved to the position of associate provost. As an associate provost, Savaiano is now working on projects involving the University Honors Program and the University Studies Program.

The College of Health and Human Sciences will continue working toward a core curriculum and plans to begin budget cuts in the spring semester.

Next year, there will be new facility additions to the College of Health and Human Sciences. Ladisch says a large portion of the child development and family studies department will move into Hanley Hall that April. The hospitality and tourism management department will move into Marriott Hall, which is under construction near Matthews Hall, in November or December of next year.

Ladisch said that in the fall of 2013 there are plans for a new Health and Human Science building. This will house the speech language and hearing sciences department as well as shared clinics of health and kinesiology, nursing and psychology.

"The new college is doing just great," Ladisch said. "We're building by the day."