Student succumbs to long cancer fight - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Student succumbs to long cancer fight

Related Stories

Posted: Sunday, June 5, 2011 7:25 pm | Updated: 11:34 am, Wed Jun 8, 2011.

A Purdue student's long battle against a fast-growing soft-tissue cancer ended this afternoon.

The Exponent has learned David Feltner, junior in the College of Technology, died at 3:50 p.m. at his parents' home in Nobelsville, Ind., due to his rhabdomyosarcoma. He was 22 years old.

Feltner was first diagnosed in 2007 and the cancer returned in 2009, 2010 and finally in 2011. During his many years of chemotherapy treatment, Feltner lost his sense of smell and had to have his right eye removed.

Feltner was a member of Pi Kappa Phi fraternity, 330 N. Grant St. It was during a fraternity chapter meeting in February that Feltner told his brothers his cancer had relapsed and he then asked them to help him shave his head. In an act of solidarity, several fraternity members shaved their heads as well.

The fraternity hosted a 72-hours bike-a-thon fundraising event in April to help collect funds for Feltner’s expensive treatments. They set up stationary bikes on their front lawn and passersby could donate and ride. The event was a success as nearly100 people participated in riding a combined total of 900 miles.

The goal of the event was to raise $5,000. That amount was raised within the first five hours of the event with donations from other fraternity and sorority members.

Funeral arrangements for Feltner were pre-planned but the day and time have not been set.

For more on this story, see Monday's edition of The Exponent.