Mitch Daniels and others to speak at Krannert Executive Forum - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Mitch Daniels and others to speak at Krannert Executive Forum

Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 10:00 am

President Mitch Daniels and director of intercollegiate athletics Morgan Burke will be speaking to Krannert students this fall.

The Krannert Executive Forum is celebrating 40 years by bringing back some of the successful and well-received speakers from the past as well as some familiar faces like Daniels and Burke. The course, MGMT 401, is open to all students at Purdue wanting to try a course different than the norm.

Rick Cosier, Dean Emeritus and Leeds Professor of Management, is in charge of the course and said the students enrolled are learning outside of typical textbooks and gaining concrete advice on the life outside of college.

“We tell the speakers to share their personal stories with the class. The speakers talk about their careers and how they arrived where they are at today. Speakers share good decisions and bad decisions that they made along the way,” Cosier said. “The students call the class ‘Real World 401.’ Students learn about things not usually covered in textbooks. Frequently, they learn important life lessons from listening to the speakers.”

One of the speakers this semester will be Daniels, and Cosier thinks he will be a great success with the students.

“We are pleased to have President Daniels speak because he is a proven and accomplished leader,” Cosier said. “He has an interesting story about how he became governor of Indiana and president of Purdue University. President Daniels relates very well to students and I expect a great exchange of ideas and questions to take place.”

Lou Underwood, assistant director of alumni relations and special events in the School of Management, said the focus of the course is to create a relationship between the students and the speaker during the time that they’re at Purdue.

“Nowhere else on campus do students have access to such valuable insight to real world experience and the occasion to interact and exchange ideas with top level executives willing to share their wealth of knowledge about problems and solutions, opportunities, and the need for educational preparation for future business leaders,” Underwood said.

Not only are the speakers businesspeople, but they are from all kinds of corporate fields.

“The speakers bring to the classroom a diversity of experience from a broad spectrum of business, such as corporate, non-profit, medicine, athletics, entertainment, service and publishing,” Underwood said. “The speakers often talk about their career and share their own path to career success.”

Sam Allen, chairman and CEO of Deere & Company, will be the first in the lineup and he will speak at 11:30 a.m. on Friday in room 1086 of Rawls Hall. The event is open to the public as seating permits.

In your opinion, what is the most important factor in Purdue's chance to make a bowl game in 2015?

Have more thoughts? We encourage you to write us a letter to the editor, emailed to editor@purdueexponent.org.