Arrests during Grand Prix decrease compared to last year - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Arrests during Grand Prix decrease compared to last year

Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2009 12:00 am

Local police departments’ arrest numbers for this year’s Grand Prix were down compared to last year.

Trina Kenner, a records clerk for the Purdue police department, said there were less than a dozen individuals arrested.

“There was a total of 10 arrests,” she said. “Last year we had 14.”

Most of the arrests were alcohol-related, with the exception of one drug arrest.

“There were four public intoxication arrests, two operating while intoxicated arrests, three minor consumption arrests and one drug arrest,” Kenner said.

The West Lafayette police department also saw a decrease in arrest numbers. Police chief Jason Dombkowski said the number of alcohol-related arrests this year were almost half of last year’s numbers.

“The total number of arrests were 14 this year,” he said. “Last year there were 26.”

Dombkowski, who was present in the Village on Saturday morning, said the department took extra precautions this year to ensure safety.

Barricades were put up on State Street from Thursday until Sunday to make sure pedestrians weren’t in danger of being hit by vehicles. Dombkowski said there was one incident in the Village Friday night in which a car sideswiped a barrier, but no one was injured.

“The individual was arrested for operating while intoxicated,” he said. “I think one of the goals of the barriers was so pedestrians and vehicles were separated and no one could get hurt and it was met.”

Numbers of arrest by Indiana excise police are unknown as calls to Lt. Michael Rosemeyer were not immediately returned.