Avoid the crowds during dead week - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Avoid the crowds during dead week

Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 10:00 am

Students resort to unconventional places to study during Dead Week to account for large crowds of people at popular libraries such as the newly renovated Hicks and Parrish libraries.

With a large student population and limited public areas, some students see it difficult to find a place that fits their individual studying habits. Some students prepare for finals in the basement of residential halls while others dedicate hours at a time in silence to one subject.

For students that prefer to study alone and in silence, the Humanities, Social Sciences and Education Library (HSSE) periodicals on the third and fourth floor in Stewart have individual seating that is rarely full.

“People don’t know about it, and that’s why it’s quiet,” said Young Chung, a senior in the Krannert School of Management.

Classrooms are another great alternative to busy libraries. They are available in all buildings during Dead Week when class is not in session and also during finals week. Large whiteboards allow students to work out practice problems and also brainstorm for end of the year group presentations. More often than not, a student will have an entire classroom to his or herself.

“I like studying in classrooms,” said Grace Lin, a freshman in the Krannert School of Management. “When I sit in a classroom, I feel like I have to focus.”

Additionally, the computer labs in Stanley Coulter and conference rooms on the second floor of the Union are good places to avoid the crowds.

“You can have the entire computer lab to yourself,” said William Read, a senior in the College of Technology.

The basement of Potter is a happy medium. There are numerous study rooms, but students cannot receive text messages or access Wi-Fi. Although some students prefer to prepare for finals in a quaint location free of distractions, others prefer to have commotion in the background.

“I need more people studying around me, making noise,” said Wisam Abunimeh, a sophomore in the College of Engineering. “They look busy, so that means I should get busy.”

For some students like Tom Deters, a freshman in the Krannert School of Management, studying in a place with a reward helps him focus knowing he can reward himself once he reaches a personal goal.

“I study better with noise, and I have to take frequent breaks,” he said. “After I finish working, I can play. It incentives studying.”

There is a wide range of preparation tactics amongst students. Some like to wake up early and get everything done at once, while others take breaks to watch TV, spend time with friends or explore social media. No matter the method, students hope to do well on all of their finals.

“I just pray to be lucky during the exam,” Abunimeh said.