Musical event brings high-energy live performance to BCC - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Musical event brings high-energy live performance to BCC

Related Galleries

Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 10:00 am

Rule No. 1 was that you had to have a good time, and it appeared nobody in attendance broke that rule.

On Feb. 21, the Black Cultural Center hosted its sixth Friday Night Funk Out. This event was made up of an eclectic mix of classic and modern music performed by students. Excited attendees packed the room, and every chair in the venue was filled.

The first vocal performance was an energetic and spirited rendition of recording artist Bruno Mars' "Treasure." From the beginning, the performers made sure the audience was having a good time. They would often invite the audience to sing along, an offer that was never refused.

The performance was split into two halves, with a half-hour break in between. There were refreshments, including water and fruit punch, offered during the intermission.

Everyone got up and danced and clapped along for the entirety of the night. Other songs performed included Kendrick Lamar's "Poetic Justice" and Earth, Wind & Fire's "September."

This level of energy, soul and audience participation makes the event special in the eyes of the performers. For Jasmine Morris, a senior in the College of Engineering, it was her sixth time performing at the Funk Out since its beginning in 2011, making her the only one to perform at all six.

"To me, I really don't feel like there's anything else like this on campus that has free entertainment and brings so many people in here. Music speaks to everybody," Morris said.

Traishaun Johnson, a junior in the College of Technology, shared some of these sentiments. Johnson said he has been singing since he was three years old, inspired by his mom singing to him as a child.

"It's really intimate, and it brings people in. It's not just a show; we're having fun. It's an atmosphere of a performance, but everyone is incorporated," Johnson said.