Space board appoints former Purdue president as its spokesperson - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Space board appoints former Purdue president as its spokesperson

Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 12:50 am

The new Board of Directors for the Center for the Advancement of Science in Space (CASIS), the nonprofit organization promoting and managing research on board the International Space Station (ISS) U.S. National Laboratory, designated former Purdue President France Córdova, as the group’s Chairperson last week in Washington, D.C.

As chair, Córdova will serve as the CASIS Board spokesperson, and will preside over future board meetings. It promotes and manages research projects on the International Space Station. The board meeting that took place in Washington, D.C. on Dec. 13, 2012, was the organization’s first official meeting of the new, permanent board.

CASIS is a non-profit board, dedicated to supporting and accelerating innovations and new discoveries that will enhance the health and well-being of people and our planet. The CASIS goal is to bring the magic of space down to earth.

Córdova she holds the position of professor in the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Purdue. Her previous positions include Chancellor of the University of California at Riverside, Vice Chancellor for Research at the University of California at Santa Barbara, NASA's Chief Scientist, Department head at the Penn State University, and Deputy Group Leader at Los Alamos National Laboratory. Since her days as a graduate student at the California Institute of Technology, she launched rocket and satellite payloads and authored or co-authored over 150 scientific and policy papers. 

“I am honored to have been selected as chair of the CASIS Board of Directors and I am eager to work with such accomplished and experienced individuals," said Córdova. “We all affirm the importance of the CASIS mission – to maximize utilization of the ISS – and plan to put our networks and abilities to bear to lead this organization.”

“France holds more than three decades of high-level management and scientific experience, and was a clear choice for the other Board members,” said CASIS interim executive director Jim Royston. “In addition to France, we have a brilliant group of professionals that are enthusiastic and equipped to guide the organization.”

Are you in favor of allowing guns on campus?

Write in with your opinion on allowing guns on campus to editor@purdueexponent.org.