Big Man on Campus brings students together - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Big Man on Campus brings students together

Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 10:00 am | Updated: 11:17 pm, Sun Feb 24, 2013.

The magnitude of Big Man on Campus and the amount of people that show up is enough to send chills down your spine.

At least that’s how Alexis Filippini, a senior in the College of Health and Human Sciences and a member of Zeta Tau Alpha, describes her first memory of the event. BMOC is an annual event held throughout Zeta Tau Alpha sororities across the nation; furthermore, it is a fundraising event created to improve knowledge of breast cancer. A talent show is held at the end of the fundraising where a student is picked to represent each fraternity by performing an act on stage in front of thousands of people at Elliott Hall of Music.

BMOC started 18 years ago to help raise awareness for breast cancer and raise money for research to diagnose and put an end to breast cancer, said Rochelle Claire, a senior in the College of Liberal Arts and a member of Zeta Tau Alpha.

“We have so many events going on such as Skip-a-Meal, Bidding Wars, Penny Wars, sheet signs and participation in various other activities,” Claire said.

Their efforts are recognized by many including the kitchen management company Campus Cooks. They have offered to make a special dinner for the members of Zeta and contestants of the talent show. Members of the fraternities that are in the talent show are also treated to the dinner.

“We take the stress away from sororities who dedicate their time to noble causes such as this,” said Mike Scagnoli, the regional supervisor of the organization Campus Cooks.

Jay Stephens, a senior in the College of Liberal Arts and a member of Delta Upsilon, said BMOC is a great way for everyone to come together for one cause and to show the capabilities of Purdue. Stephens won the 2012 BMOC by performing an acoustic cover of “Fix You” by Coldplay and a choreographed dance to the song “Look at Her Go” by T-Pain.

“There is so much hard work put into preparing for the show. Not only do we prepare our acts, but there is fund-raising and other philanthropic events we have to keep track of,” Stephens said.

The panel that decides who wins the talent show is comprised of nine women: Miss Indiana, Miss Purdue, a Colts cheerleader, a Pacers cheerleader and various sorority and cooperative housing members. Each judge puts in a ballot for the fraternity they think did the best and at the end they are tallied and a winner is chosen.

This year’s BMOC will be held at 7 p.m. on Feb. 22 in the Elliott Hall of Music. Tickets can be bought at the Stewart Center from noon to 4 p.m.