Co-curricular transcript to improve student's marketability - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Co-curricular transcript to improve student's marketability

Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 10:00 am | Updated: 8:23 pm, Mon Jan 13, 2014.

The University has introduced to Purdue students another tool that gives them an edge out in the real world.

The Co-curricular Transcript is a record of a Purdue University student’s co-curricular involvement and leadership experiences. It is designed to encourage significant student involvement in the learning process by documenting experiences that take place outside the classroom.

Jim Hintz, interim dean of students, said part of the goal of the transcript is to help capture students’ experiences on campus and recognize those experiences as they pursue future careers.

“A resume is your own recollection,” Hintz said. “The transcript is verified by the University and can act as a supplement for your resume. It’s not meant to replace it; it’s meant to enhance it.”

All experiences recorded on the transcript will be verified by Purdue University. Students can include membership or leadership in a student organization, conferences or retreats attended, awards or scholarships that the students have received, or internships that the students have done during their time at the university.

Kelley Stier, coordinator of co-curricular experiences, said that the transcript will allow students to market themselves better when talking to potential employers.

“It helps the students to tell their story,” Stier said. “Students learning to pitch themselves to potential employers who have utilized the self reflection tool offered by the transcript will have an easier time than those who haven’t used the tool.”

Seminars will be held within the next month to help students learn about how to market themselves with the transcript. In the meantime, students can visit the B-involved website, which has been updated with frequently asked questions and instructions on how to begin the process. Students can also visit Student Activities and Organization in the Office of the Dean of Students for help in getting started on the transcript.

For Hintz, the transcript hints at a chance to show how Purdue is shaping the lives of students.

“To have that growth recorded and recognized by the University makes employers more willing to accept it, which is a boost to anyone searching for employment,” Hintz said. “It’s one thing to say that you’ve had experiences, and it’s another to have learning outcomes to the experiences. That’s really the long term goal here.”