Surplus store stocks, sells strange supplies - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Surplus store stocks, sells strange supplies

Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:00 am | Updated: 2:35 pm, Tue Mar 22, 2011.

The employees and customers of the University Warehouse Surplus Store have seen some odd things come through the door.

Mike Allen, a warehouse employee, says the weirdest thing he's seen there is a cadaver freezer.

"It would hold two bodies," Allen said. "If you can think of something weird, we've had it."

Mark Schock, the supervisor for University Warehouse and Surplus, recalls a biology display run amok going through the warehouse.

"It was some kind of display thing; they had different body parts of animals put together," Schock said.

Allen called it "a cow-sheep-goat-pig."

Most items for sale at the warehouse aren't as Frankenstein-esque as the "cow-sheep-goat-pig." The aisles are lined with old electronics, filing cabinets, desks, chairs and other mundane fixtures for which the University no longer has a use. Computers, Schock said, make up 67 percent of the warehouse's sales. All of which, he points out, are saved from the landfill by the University Warehouse Surplus Store.

"We were green before green was cool," Schock said, beaming with pride.

Kelvin Lau, a junior in the School of Electrical Engineering, and Keith Trusty, a junior in the School of Nuclear Engineering, are frequent shoppers at the warehouse. They haven't seen anything as interesting as a cadaver freezer, but they said they've seen their fair share of curios at the warehouse.

"It's just something weird that you don't usually see at a shop or anywhere," Trusty said regarding a microfilm reader he had seen there.

Although he hasn't purchased a bike from the warehouse, Trusty encourages others to do so - they sell for $25 each.

"People should get their bikes here. They've got about 150 bikes," Trusty said.

Besides liquidating the University's unwanted assets, the University Warehouse and Surplus disassembles old electronics for scrap, ensuring the data on the hard drives is destroyed. They do it by shredding the hard drive itself. As much of the material as possible is sold as scrap. The whole electronics disposal operation, Schock explained, is zero waste.