Purdue offers more information in new sexual misconduct policy - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Purdue offers more information in new sexual misconduct policy

Posted: Monday, April 9, 2012 10:00 am

Purdue has recently updated its anti-harassment policy and made a website to cover sexual violence and exploitation to all students, staff and visitors on campus.

These issues were covered prior to the online advice webpage, but the policies outlined in the new site are more defined and specific. Alysa Rollock, the vice president for ethics and compliance at Purdue, wants to make sure that the University is providing all of the protection and information that is available for people on campus.

“(It is) our responsibility to provide an environment for students that is free from discrimination and violence,” Rollock said. “It is important to protect not only the students, but the staff and visitors to our campus.”

The website, www.purdue.edu/sexual_assault, provides information on keeping safe, defining sexual violence and reacting if you or someone you know has been a victim of misconduct.

“I am all for this new website. I have heard before that most sexual assault victims never report their cases,” said Dayle Alexander, a freshman in the College of Engineering. “I definitely think that a website that clarifies misconceptions and offers help to students who may be victims will be very informative and may even help to get every victim cared for.”

Part of helping those on campus also involves being proactive in one’s decision making. Rollock insists on taking a multifaceted approach in keeping students and others safe at Purdue. She emphasizes students should be aware of their surroundings, travel in groups and keep a clear head when in an unfamiliar setting.

“We have always been accommodating with students to help them change classes or dorms if they feel uncomfortable with the people around them. We also have many resources that students can turn to in a crisis: the dean of students, PUSH and organizations in the local community,” Rollock said.

This way of helping Boilermakers is about educating those in West Lafayette. “It’s about education – letting people know what is available to them,” Rollock said. “It’s not just for students; it’s for everyone.”