First impression remains important in Greek recruitment - Purdue Exponent: Campus

First impression remains important in Greek recruitment

Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 10:00 am

Two Greek members spill the truth about how potential members should present themselves during the recruitment process.

Purdue currently has one of the largest Greek communities in the nation, with over 5,000 students being members of one of 48 men’s fraternities and 32 women’s sororities. While the recruitment events might be startling for some, the entire process is part of the college experience.

Benjamin Capano, the director of recruitment of Interfraternity Council, said it’s important for guys to find the best fit to get the best out of their experience.

“Like everywhere else, first impressions are important in rush,” Capano said. “When you’re rushing around, it’s important to be willing to talk to and meet a lot of people. Try to meet as many people as possible because that’s the best way to determine if you have a lot in common with the guys in the fraternity and if it’s a good fit for you.”

Patrick O’Sheal, the rush chair of Alpha Kappa Lambda, said because of the fast process in recruitment, it’s should be noted that first impression means everything.

“During rush, fraternities only see potential members for only two hours two days a week,” O’Sheal said. “Members must judge you based on only on what they see during rush events.”

Although it may not be as frequent, there are some upperclassmen who still might want to join the Greek community as they look for more organizations to be involved in.

“It’s rare to see juniors and seniors rushing because if they join that late, they simply have less time to enjoy and give back to the fraternity,” Capano said. “That being said, if someone is really interested in our Greek system and passionate about rushing and he is an upperclassman, I would still recommend that he rush ... Age isn’t a deal breaker.”

O’Sheal also said the age and what year the student is in should not be an issue at all. “We by no means discourage upperclassmen from become associate members at all,” O’Sheal said. “In fact, a pledge brother of mine was a junior when he decided to join our house.”

A tip that O’Sheal recommends for potential members is trying to build a relationship with the current members by remembering their names.

“As cliché as it may sound, the best thing a potential member can do during rush is to be themselves. Don’t try to be someone you’re not,” O’Sheal said. “Another big thing for rushees to remember are the names of the members that they meet at a Greek house. Nothing gets members more of an impression than having a rushee call him or her by name when they see each other.”

The semi-annual “Meet the Greeks” event will be held at 4 p.m. on Friday in the South Ballroom of the Purdue Memorial Union.