Senior chooses education as a career - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Senior chooses education as a career

Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 10:00 am

Although she’ll be graduating next month, a Purdue senior hopes to remain on a college campus to further her education.

From the San Francisco Bay Area, Amanda Rose Van Camp came to Purdue because of its strong reputation as a research institution and the opportunities that come with being at a big school.

Van Camp has taken advantage of the opportunities offered at Purdue by being a student ambassador at the Welcome Center and is an honors student in the Psychology Research Focused Honors Program. She is also the president of an international honors society, Psi Chi.

Van Camp chose to major in psychology, focusing on the research element of the field.

“At first I thought that psychology focused primarily on clinical and counseling,” said Van Camp. “However, I learned that there are a ton of different areas and I have since found that my interests better lie within experimental research in social psychology.”

Van Camp has pursued her love of research by participating in group projects, studying different fields of psychology.

Laura Parker, a graduate student in the social psychology Ph.D. program, has been working with Van Camp in a group thesis research project. The project involves a series of studies investigating confrontations of gender bias.

“For (Van Camp’s) thesis project, we examined whether people are as concerned when they learn that they have been gender-biased, as when people learn that they have been race-biased,” said Parker.

Van Camp’s love for learning and research has allowed her to excel in group projects.

“What makes Amanda successful is her intrinsic motivation to pursue research,” said Parker. “She’s very driven and passionate about her work.”

Van Camp looks back on her experience at Purdue over the years with positivity.

“I have grown so much in my time here, and I have been awarded excellent opportunities and training that I don’t think I could have received elsewhere,” said Van Camp.

Because of her passion for research, she strives to make a career out of it. After she receives her Ph.D., Van Camp hopes to become a professor at a university, conducting research in her own lab and continuing her education as a career.