New rec center offers more opportunity to be active - Purdue Exponent: Campus

New rec center offers more opportunity to be active

Related YouTube Video

Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:00 am

The new France A. Córdova Recreational Sports Center is big enough to get lost in, a Purdue student said.

The first phase of opening the new Córdova Center started at 11 a.m. Tuesday. On Tuesday and today, people are limited to entering on the east side of the building. In a recent Purdue news release, Howard Taylor, director of recreational sports, said that starting Thursday, people may utilize the other entrances.

The entirety of the Córdova Center, save the areas still under construction, will be available after the grand opening on Friday. A dedication for the building will begin at 3 p.m. Friday in the Black and Gold Gyms.

Aaron Willard, a sophomore in the College of Engineering, went soon after the facility opened Tuesday so he could take a tour.

“I almost got lost in the place,” Willard said. “There are so many rooms that are open for so many different activities.”

The massiveness of Purdue’s new recreational center is what Malachi Boyd, another sophomore in the College of Engineering, noticed when he first walked in, too.

“It’s huge,” Boyd said. “There’s a lot of things to do here, like wall climbing and plenty of multipurpose rooms. I think it’s going to be good for the school because it’ll keep everybody busy and active.”

Boyd’s friend Brandon Trammell, also a sophomore in the College of Engineering, said he’s most looking forward to using the 12 different basketball courts. Trammell added that the various sections of the facility will probably motivate more people to start becoming more active.

“I think whenever new things come, people like to go and check them out,” Trammell said, “and hopefully they’ll try to stick with it.”

Emilie Kirkman is already routinely active, working out three times a week. After her very first workout in the new center, the senior in the College of Health and Human Sciences said she especially appreciated the new equipment.

“I did conditioning with the ropes,” Kirkman said. “They have ropes there, which they didn’t have at the (Turf Recreational Exercise Center) ... I think (the new center) is going to make it a lot easier to work out because it’s so much bigger and it’s going to be easier to find more equipment to use.”

The daily hours will be from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. temporarily, but the Turf Recreation Exercise Center will remain open from 5 a.m. to 11 a.m. for those who have early-morning workout routines.

Taylor added that the new Córdova Center will post signs with updated entrance information in the coming days.

In your opinion, what is the most important factor in Purdue's chance to make a bowl game in 2015?

Have more thoughts? We encourage you to write us a letter to the editor, emailed to editor@purdueexponent.org.