Tower Acres to welcome new apartment buildings - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Tower Acres to welcome new apartment buildings

Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:00 am

Tower Acres will welcome a new apartment complex featuring international and domestic students living together.

Crosswalk Commons Apartments, which are currently under construction, will house international and domestic students in two or four bedroom suites. Located near the water tower, the buildings will include common kitchen and living rooms for students.

Crosswalk board member John Sprunger said this won’t be your typical apartment housing option for students.

“This actually is not an apartment complex in the traditional form,” Sprunger said. “Crosswalk Commons is a building being constructed by a 501c3 non-profit organization, Crosswalk Project, Inc., aimed at connecting lives of international and domestic students and people in the Greater Lafayette community.”

Taylor Campbell, a sophomore in the College of Liberal Arts, said the apartments sound like a great option for students.

“There’s no better way of learning about someone else’s culture than living with them,” Campbell said. “You don’t see a lot of international students and domestic students hanging out on campus a lot and I think that’s a shame. But if we’re placed in the same room with international students, we’re forced to communicate and become friends.”

Sprunger said the primary goal for setting up these buildings was for students to learn from one another.

“As an international student from China who spoke at the Crosswalk groundbreaking ceremony had said, the Crosswalk is designed to enhance the friendship among international and domestic students,” Sprunger said.

With construction already underway, Sprunger said the buildings are scheduled to be completed by August 2013.

The buildings will also be a new home for the Salt and Light Christian Fellowship, a student organization.

Campbell said he hopes these buildings will shed some light on what international students want and need from their experience at Purdue.

“I feel like Purdue doesn’t really listen to what the international students want,” Campbell said. “We all know that Purdue boasts (about) being one of the top universities with the most international students, and I hope Purdue uses these apartments as a way of learning more about them.”

Apartment leases for Crosswalk Commons are being signed now and interested students should contact John Sprunger immediately for more information.

In your opinion, what is the most important factor in Purdue's chance to make a bowl game in 2015?

Have more thoughts? We encourage you to write us a letter to the editor, emailed to editor@purdueexponent.org.