Purdue Student Government aimed to unite the campus with several events throughout the year.

Among their sponsored events were the Neil Armstrong memorial, a fall concert at Slayter Hill and town hall meetings across various parts of campus to understand different issues facing the student body.

Joe Rust, president of Purdue Student Government, said PSG wanted to tie every initiative it put forth this semester to his campaign platform of “One Purdue.”

“One Purdue is all about creating more unity and collaboration on campus amongst students from different majors, backgrounds, cultures, states and countries,” Rust said.”All those aspects create a very diverse campus.”

Ashley Munson, a senior in the College of Liberal Arts, said PSG did well this semester, but that it needs to figure out a way to get students more involved.

“(They need to find) a way that you can (have) students realize how important PSG is (to students),” Munson said.

Rust said another initiative was to welcome Gov. Mitch Daniels to Purdue as the president-elect.

“We have heard complaints and concerns from our constituents, but overall, we want to welcome Gov. Daniels so we can create a positive environment to work with him,” Rust said.

Rust said the senate branch of PSG held many co-sponsorship events. One of its major sponsorships has been with the Old Masters program, to which the PSG contributed $5,000 to an endowment fund and $1,154 in sponsoring the program.

“Senate has done a lot with co-sponsorship events – sponsoring the Old Masters program, contributing to their endowment fund, which is in need of increasing funds because the University has been decreasing the amount of money that goes to Old Masters,” Rust said.

In addition to Old Masters, PSG also spent $2,000 co-sponsoring Purdue Dance Marathon and $3,000 toward an event with Delta Gamma sorority.

The total budget for the year was $143,844.23 and the group spent $45,569.65 this semester.

Rust said the executive branch of PSG has been working with the West Lafayette City Council and Indiana legislature to get tax exemption on college textbooks. He said the goal is to keep the momentum that PSG achieved when it collaborated with state legislature in passing the medical amnesty initiative.

“This was the initiative that seems to make sense ... if we want to help students promote in their learning, especially in higher education, we need to make it affordable,” Rust said.

Rust said one of the goals in the near future of the judicial branch of PSG is to have an attorney on campus to provide students with legal counsel regarding any issues students face.