Governor Pence has high hopes for Indiana - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Governor Pence has high hopes for Indiana

Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:00 am | Updated: 1:27 pm, Wed Jan 23, 2013.

Newly appointed governor of Indiana Mike Pence delivered his first State of the State address Tuesday night, focusing on job creation and the future of education.

The Republican governor highlighted the stories of three families to argue the need for stronger education, increased job security for veterans and better business communities within the state.

Pence recently submitted his budget proposal for Indiana, stating he hopes to cut personal income taxes by 10 percent.

“The budget I submitted last week is honestly balanced, funds our priorities, reduces by 10 percent the tax bill Hoosiers currently pay and still maintains reserves well in excess of the resources we would need to meet emergency and unforeseen contingencies,” Pence said. “So let’s be honest with our fellow Hoosiers: we can afford to do this.”

Before Pence delivered his speech, Bert Rockman, a professor of political science, said he predicts the new governor will push for a big tax cut, but it might not be the wisest decision.

“I suspect that he will be pushing more tax cut mania, which is exactly what this state does not need,” Rockman said.

Angela Mata, the president of Purdue Democrats, said she still wasn’t sure about Pence’s plans regarding the budget and finances.

“The primary concern for most college students is finding a job after graduation,” Mata said. “Governor Pence spoke about investing money into different programs which would fuel job creation, and yet continuously spoke of decreasing taxes. Where is the money he wants to invest supposed to come from?”

Pence focused on the road ahead, rather than trying to fix the past. He said Hoosiers are stronger than ever, and that they will come back with a bang.

“The road ahead of us will not be easy. But this is Indiana’s moment,” Pence said. “We can put Hoosiers back to work and make Indiana first in job creation, first in education and first in quality of life. Let’s get to work.”