New year marks new resolutions for students - Purdue Exponent: Campus

New year marks new resolutions for students

Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 10:00 am

A Purdue student has a habit of promising herself a new year of fitness and health, but her plan eventually fails every time.

Brittany Gracio, a sophomore in the College of Health and Human Sciences, said whenever she plans out her New Year’s resolutions, she always adds eating healthy and exercising more as part of her goals.

“I do it every year, and all my resolutions don’t work out, except maybe not logging on Facebook as much,” Gracio said. “The whole purpose of making New Year’s resolutions is the fact that you want to better yourself, but I feel like I’m actually reminding myself I’m going to fail again this year.”

Tricia Tort, the assistant director of fitness and wellness at the Córdova Recreational Center, said she sees many students coming in with their goal in mind but they usually have a hard time sticking to that goal.

“We definitely notice an increase in patrons utilizing the facility and our services, such as Group X classes and personal training in January,” Tort said. “While we see an increase in numbers during the day, we notice an even larger increase in the early mornings. We also notice a steady decrease between early February and Spring Break. The morning exercisers are usually the first to drop off.”

The reality of these goals and dreams might be the problem at hand, Gracio said.

“People make these drastic and unrealistic resolutions for themselves, such as losing 50 pounds in two months,” Gracio said. “When it gets too hard or it feels like you’re going nowhere, you just drop everything and go back to your old habits again.”

Tort also said it’s important for students to realize that the goals they set for themselves don’t have to be painful or uncomfortable. Students just have to find a way to enjoy themselves while doing it.

“Find exercise activities that you enjoy,” Tort said. “If you like to dance, go to a Zumba class; if you enjoy sports, sign up for an intramural sports league.”

William Graziano, a professor of psychology, said people make New Year’s resolutions because of the appeal of a new start.

“This is the time that marks the official beginning, a new start; people want to reboot, like a reset button,” Graziano said. “This a time of year when many want to begin anew.”

Repetition and tradition is an integral part of keeping the resolutions that people set, Graziano said.

“I think there are personalities directed by rules and others that have a hard time following rules,” Graziano said. “Those who follow traditions, like hanging Christmas wreaths, are likely to follow resolutions.”