Beta Theta Pi fraternity suspended, forced to move out by end of semester - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Beta Theta Pi fraternity suspended, forced to move out by end of semester

Posted: Thursday, November 1, 2012 7:00 pm

Purdue University officials have suspended the fraternity Beta Theta Pi for violations of alcohol and hazing regulations.

The fraternity, located at 150 Littleton St., was under investigation for hazing and for making alcohol available to minors at social and new member education events this semester.

The suspension will be in effect through May 4, 2013, when it will then be placed on probation through Dec. 20, 2014. Fraternity members have also been ordered by Beta Theta Pi's General Fraternity to move out of the house by the end of the semester and be moved to an "alumni status" within the organization.

"This is a strong message that this type of behavior will not be tolerated," said Jeff Stefancic, associate dean of students, in a press release. "We expect responsible conduct from all of our fraternities and sororities, and we will act when necessary. The chapter can regain its good standing with the university, and we will work with Beta alumni and their General Fraternity in order to do so."

Ashley Darnell, assistant director of Off-Campus Housing Services, will help fraternity members identify housing options in the local community.

Check tomorrow's edition for more details on the suspension and what the local chapter has to say.