Trustees discuss proposals - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Trustees discuss proposals

Posted: Friday, February 4, 2011 10:02 am

On Thursday, Purdue's Board of Trustees moved to vote on several issues ranging from a new baseball stadium to a wind farm.

The Board approved a plan for the development of a wind farm. The 1,600-acre farm will be located in northern Tippecanoe County and will host 60 General Electric turbines that produce up to 100 MWatts of power.

"This project will not only build synergies but also address the engineering grand challenges of our society," Ken Sandel, director of physical and capital planning, said.

The wind farm will harbor Purdue's commitment to sustainability, economic development and multidisciplinary opportunities. Sandel also emphasized the increased research opportunities the farm will create.

"The farm aligns with Purdue's land grant mission to support citizens of Indiana through research and education," Sandel said. "The wind farm will also allow Indiana to create renewable energy credit, a distinction 36 states already claim."

The wind farm is projected to be functional by Dec. 31, 2012.

The trustees also approved a $21 million baseball stadium to be financed by the athletic department.

"This project will allow Purdue's baseball program to stay abreast of NCAA competition and improve recruitment," Robert McMains, vice president for physical facilities, said.

The 2,500 seat baseball stadium will replace the existing 1,100 seat Lambert Field.

In response to this proposal, trustee Mamon Powers Jr., said, "The Indiana Commission for Higher Education has suggested to the state legislature to not fund new school building projects for two years."

The trustees dispelled his concern when they specified that the complex will house new research laboratories and plenty of office space for faculty and graduate students.

The Board also halted plans to install a coal-fired boiler and approved a proposal to create an energy master plan for the University.

Brad Krites, president of the Purdue student government, placed a proposal for a new student success building to "launch tomorrow's leaders." The trustees approved the idea.

Additionally, the trustees approved a request to purchase land for a new Purdue Musical Organization building, Bailey Hall. Scheduled to be built a the intersection of North Grant Street and Northwestern Avenue, the $922,000 building, funded by gifts to the Purdue Musical Organizations, will allow Purdue's musical programs to spread out from Elliott Hall.

Furthermore, the committee approved a contract to lease Purdue Research Foundation space to the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering for a $31.9 million project. Of this total, $18 million will go toward the Seng-Liang Wang Hall of Electrical and Computer Engineering.

"Research. It's classic Purdue," trustee Michael Berghoff said.