President's forum highlights significance of regional campuses - Purdue Exponent: Campus

President's forum highlights significance of regional campuses

Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:00 am

The significance of Purdue's regional campuses was discussed during the president's forum Tuesday, and panelists debated how the entire system may be able to collaborate more effectively.

The panel included Chancellor Jim Dworkin of Purdue-North Central, Chancellor Tom Keon of Purdue-Calumet and Chancellor Vicky Carwein of Purdue-IPFW. Chancellors talked about their campus and the way regional locations function. 

Acting president Timothy Sands mentioned the economic impact students from the regional campuses have on the state, as around 87 to 94 percent of students attending these campuses remain in Indiana after they graduate.

The speakers also talked about the differences between the students who attend Purdue in West Lafayette and those at the regional campuses. Many of the regional campus students are part-time or non-traditional students and, in addition, 54 to 68 percent of regional students are the first in their family to attend college, compared to less than a quarter of students in West Lafayette.

Sands concluded the presentation by expressing that all of Purdue's campuses hope to work together and share their strategies in order to improve the campuses overall.