Senior values education from outside the classroom - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Senior values education from outside the classroom

Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:00 am

A Purdue senior reflected on the past four and a half years of college he has spent learning from his best friend.

“(You) see yourself develop and you look back after the years and you’re like, ‘Wow, I was that person and look how far I’ve come and what Purdue’s done for me,’” Brad Winterrowd said. “I’ve really just grown as a person.”

Winterrowd, who is in the College of Health and Human Sciences, is majoring in selling and sales management and minoring in entrepreneurship. He is also a member of Alpha Tau Omega fraternity.

“(I’ve) met the best friends of my life through my fraternity and other people I’ve come into contact with,” Winterrowd said.

Andrew Gannon, a fifth-year senior in the College of Liberal Arts and one of Winterrowd’s pledge brothers, said Winterrowd has always tried his hardest and put school first.

“I made sure to try and disrupt (him) with recreational activities,” Gannon said.

Gannon’s favorite memory with Winterrowd was when the two skipped a class their sophomore year and drove three hours to go snowboarding at Perfect North Slopes in Lawrenceburg, Ind.

“Brad’s been there for me through it all these past few years,” Gannon said. “We’ve gone to games ... closed down the bars, ran around Breakfast Club like idiots and spent long hours in the library together.”

After graduation, Winterrowd will be completing a business sales leadership program for AT&T in Atlanta for five months.

“In 15 years, I’d like to be a sales manager of some sort,” Winterrowd said. “I’ve always seen myself suiting up and living the corporate life.”

Winterrowd said he always made sure to get his work done so he could enjoy the rest of what college had to offer.

“I realized that you need to have a balance in life and not to take anything too seriously and stress out – just roll with the punches,” Winterrowd said. “Every student needs to seize every day.”

Gannon is excited for Winterrowd to show the world all of his potential – and to “rage” in Atlanta with him next year when he visits.

“Purdue will be losing a dedicated student with school pride, the Greek system will be losing a great leader and brother and I personally would not be the person I am today without him,” Gannon said. “(He is my) best friend, will be the best man in my wedding and the best person I’ve met at Purdue.”

In your opinion, what is the most important factor in Purdue's chance to make a bowl game in 2015?

Have more thoughts? We encourage you to write us a letter to the editor, emailed to editor@purdueexponent.org.