Student success corridor makes progress - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Student success corridor makes progress

Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 10:00 am | Updated: 6:43 pm, Mon Jan 28, 2013.

Three buildings included in the Student Success Corridor gained progress in Thursday afternoon’s Board of Trustee meeting.

The Board passed the motion to award construction contracts for the Center for Student Excellence and Leadership and Vawter Field Housing. The Board also passed the motion to approve the 10-year capital plan which includes the classroom/library facility.

The Center for Student Excellence and Leadership is to be a four-story building located on the corner of Third Street and Martin Jischke Drive. Construction on the $19.6 million project is expected to begin in August. The facility will have student organization offices, student organization services and academic success services.

Trustee Mike Berghoff said he thinks students will frequent the new buildings after construction is complete.

“My hope is that when students return, it will become the Union for student leadership,” Berghoff said.

He also said three parties should be thanked for the progress that has been made: former President France Córdova for her ideas, the athletic department for the generous donation, and the donors.

Also set for construction to begin in August, Vawter Field will soon be called Vawter Field Hall. The $28 million project is built to be more attractive for upperclassmen and learning communities. The hall will also house a small restaurant and a convenience store.

The project is scheduled to be completed by June 2014.

Construction hasn’t been planned yet for the classroom/library facility, but it is a number one priority for the 10-year capital plan, according to Ken Sandel, director of physical and finance planning.

“We are looking to replace classrooms with this,” Sandel said.

The $89 million building will take in classrooms previously housed in the buildings of Heavilon, Smith and ENAD and the south side of Lily. These three buildings and the south side of Lily will be demolished. This plan is expected to save funds in renovation and replacement costs.