Hurricane Isaac remnants brought little relief to drought conditions in Indiana.

Austin Pearson, a student research assistant at the Indiana state climate office, said locally over the weekend there was a little over an inch of rainfall.

"It was not enough to per say curb the drought," Pearson said. "We were forecasting rainfall measurements in excess of 6 inches."

Associate professor in the department of earth, atmospheric and planetary science Mike Baldwin, said this summer saw one of the worst droughts in recent history.

"We saw one of the largest percentage areas of the country experiencing exceptional drought," Baldwin said. "In terms of just area covered, it was extreme."

Future forecast looks like there is going to be a more regular pattern for this time of the year, which averages three to four inches of rain per month. Compared to the rest of the summer, there was a period roughly six weeks long where it only rained an inch total, Baldwin said.

"We beat that just in about an hour, on Saturday – when it was raining so much around noon that one hour was as much as we had seen in that six week period from July to early August," Baldwin said. "So that is how dry it was during the summer."

Baldwin said locally the drought was exceptional too. It has a significant financial impact on many people because drought is the most costly weather event, even exceeding hurricane because they are widespread and long-lasting.

"We had several weeks where many locations received no precipitation or very light precipitation," Baldwin said.

Recent rains have helped the drought problem, but it is not going to have much of an impact on agriculture since the season is almost over. The recent rains are getting back to the normal pattern of weather, Baldwin said.

"We had a relatively wet month of August after a really dry month of July," Baldwin said. "We are still dry. You can see the Wabash water levels are still really low."

Baldwin said there was less rain than what was foretasted for the weekend, but it helped put a dent in the drought.

"The weekend rainfall ranged between, say, one to three inches," Baldwin said.  "Looking at the forecast it looks like this will continue. We sort of switched into pattern where we should expect to see rain on a regular basis."