Fraternity procures new house - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Fraternity procures new house

Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:00 am

Lack of a house never stopped one of Purdue’s newest fraternities from quickly growing in numbers and it hopes to expand when it moves into a house this fall.

“When people ask us where our house is, we don’t have to say ‘Oh, we don’t have one,’” Zeta Beta Tau President Alec Pack said. “We can tell them, ‘This is our house.’”

Pack, a senior in the College of Engineering, explained that having to hold chapter meetings in places such as the Stewart Center posed difficulties to the fraternity.

“It was hard for us to hold philanthropies and functions with other houses when we didn’t have a house of our own,” Pack said. “We made it our goal to get our charter; we really pushed recruiting and spreading the word to the brothers.”

As member of the fraternity’s first pledge class, which had only four members, Pack explained that momentum began building during the past school year.

After having single-digit pledge classes during its first years, Zeta Beta Tau fraternity’s fall and spring pledge classes combined admitted 37 new brothers, literally doubling the fraternity’s membership.

One of the fraternity’s newest members, Brandon Crowe, a sophomore in the College of Engineering and member of the 2011 spring pledge class, said that he hadn’t originally planned on joining a fraternity at all.

“There was a real feeling of brotherhood between the guys,” Crowe said. “That really stuck out to me, especially since they didn’t have a pledgeship.”

During the spring, the fraternity won the Big Man on Campus competition and was awarded its charter. A few short weeks later, the brothers were told that they would be moving into the recently vacated Phi Kappa Theta house on Tower Drive.

“Having a house is really going to strengthen the bonds between the brothers,” Crowe said. “I want us to keep growing and to become more established on campus.”

Pack, too, said that expanding membership will be a focus during the coming year.

“We want to carry our momentum into the fall,” Pack said. “Recruiting is the lifeblood of our house and we want to keep it going strong.”