PSG race narrowly won, voter turnout increases from last year - Purdue Exponent: Campus

PSG race narrowly won, voter turnout increases from last year

Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 10:00 am

The next student body president and vice president won by just 135 votes.

Brett Highley, student body president-elect, and Monica Harvey, vice president-elect, were prepared after the announcement with a list for the first things they will do in office.

"We're going to be reaching out to everyone that helped with our ideas," Highley said. "Let's put it this way: going to be sending out a lot of emails tonight."

This year's election was marked by a high turnout rate of 5,005 votes - a nearly 60 increase from last year's election.

After the winning ticket had been announced, Harvey hugged several people in the room.

"I feel overjoyed, overwhelmed and exhausted. I just want to hug everyone!" Harvey said.

Highley said he felt relieved after the overwhelming workload and knowing that students felt that he could professionally do a good job as PSG President.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who has helped me," Highley said.

In PSG, Highley is the executive director of government relations. Highley is also the vice president of the liberal arts student council and the publicity director of the Purdue College Republicans. His favorite involvement, however, has been supporting Purdue athletics.

"I don't miss any of the football games," Highley said. "I love going to the sporting events because of the events and the unity of the student body."

In her time at Purdue, Harvey has been involved with EPICS, worked at The Exponent and worked with the Big Ten Network. Harvey is the also the president of the Twin Pines co-operative house and the vice chief justice of PSG.

The runner-up for the election, Alexandra Robinson, said "Brett's a great guy, Monica's a great girl and they've done great work in PSG so far."

Danny Spivey, who came second to last in the election, said that he would still consider applying for an executive position for next year.

"I think this will be a good opportunity to better understand PSG and gain some more experience," Spivey said. "I support the winning ticket 100 percent, I like their platform and maybe I'll try again next year."

Harvey said that one of the first things they are going to do is work on recruiting students for PSG next year.

"One of the first steps is to try to assemble a totally baller team," Harvey said. "We want to have the best students here at Purdue."

Nathan Murphy, one of the other candidates for president, said he encourages other students to join PSG next year.

"I encourage students to get involved. They do have a voice and need to speak up," Murphy said.

The results of the senatorial elections and percentages can be found on The Exponent's website, purdueexponent.org.

In your opinion, what is the most important factor in Purdue's chance to make a bowl game in 2015?

Have more thoughts? We encourage you to write us a letter to the editor, emailed to editor@purdueexponent.org.