PSG town hall meeting discusses campus and city issues - Purdue Exponent: Campus

PSG town hall meeting discusses campus and city issues

Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:00 am

Representatives from West Lafayette and Purdue joined Purdue Student Government as they discussed various campus-related issues during the first town hall meeting of the semester.

PSG president Joe Rust began the meeting by introducing the guest speakers and opening up the floor to questions.

Ashley Darnell, assistant director for off-campus housing, started working for University Residences in January 2012. Darnell’s position includes being a resource for off-campus students and helping students to make informed decisions about their housing options.

“If you run into issues with your landlord and you need someone to come talk to, I can be a resource for you guys,” Darnell said.

Darnell also said Purdue’s off-campus housing website will now offer features such as being able to rate landlords and post information about them.

“Students can search their housing options by ratings and by their budget and decide to push (their) budget up and figure out what works for (them),” Darnell said.

Eddie VanBogaert, West Lafayette District 1 councilor and graduate student in the School of Management, spoke on the issues of limited parking spaces, more effective CityBus routes, recycling and pedestrian traffic.

“When we talk about parking, we really want to make sure that we have an environment that is pedestrian accessible as possible,” VanBogaert said. “We encourage bike lanes, safe sidewalks and a public transportation system that is well funded. I think that’s going to help take more cars off the roads and create a better environment around campus.”

Both VanBogaert and Darnell said they actively look for students’ opinions and concerns around campus. VanBogaert said he has received requests for more trash bins and better recycling efforts. Darnell encouraged students to be active in the lease agreement process and to build a better relationship with their landlord. He also hopes to make sublease options more easy for students to find.

“Part of the search engine (on the website) actually has a place where you can put your sublease, so we’re encouraging everybody that has those to do that,” Darnell said. “We’re gonna actually move that to our front page, so that students that are looking they can select sublease.”