Roundtable provides platform for discussion on immigration, election - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Roundtable provides platform for discussion on immigration, election

Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:00 am

A political roundtable will explore issues regarding immigration and the 2012 presidential elections.

A new political science academic journal at Purdue, “Politics, Groups, and Identities,” will be hosting its first event, “Immigration and the 2012 election,” at 7 tonight in Lynn Hall, Room 1136.

The political roundtable, which is part of the Discovery Lecture Series at Purdue, will include five panelists who are nationally recognized experts on the topic of immigration.

Katie Cahill-Rincón, a graduate student in political science and editorial assistant for the journal, is a coordinator for the roundtable and thinks it will be “an opportunity to have a public discussion that is informed by research.”

According to Cahill-Rincón, the event will benefit U.S. citizens as well as foreign students.

“For those that are citizens of the United States, it is important to be informed,” she said. “For students who are not citizens, it is an opportunity to be engaged in the American political process.”

The panelists will converse on issues pertaining to immigration and inclusion. They will also discuss the kinds of effects these issues will have in the presidential election. A question and answer session will be held via Twitter, and a reception will take place after that.

Fernando Tormos, a graduate student in political science and president of the Latino Graduate Student Organization, is looking forward to the roundtable and thinks it will be a “very fruitful, academic” discussion.

“(The roundtable will) enrich and deepen the understanding of issues of identity and immigration,” Tormos said.

The roundtable will be the kickoff event to a series of political workshops that will be held from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday in Stewart Center, Room 306. All the events will be free.