Student safety and wellness considered first priority for the University - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Student safety and wellness considered first priority for the University

Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 10:00 am

It took the police chief, the fire chief and a game show host to inform the freshmen about how to be safe and responsible on campus.

Boiler Gold Rush (BGR) participants were joined by Ian Brown, chair of Student Orientation Committee, to play a round of Jeopardy Tuesday afternoon for the student wellness presentation. The session was geared towards educating the new freshmen on safety and protection now that they’re responsible for themselves on campus.

The categories included drugs, sexual health and safety, police and fire safety, academic integrity and alcohol poisoning. Brown acted as a game show host when he asked for one volunteer from each residence hall group to come up to the stage.

The questions revolved around what students should do if they find themselves in medical emergencies or other consequential situations. For example, he asked the questions “What should you do when your friend is passed out and not responding,” “What are the consequences for academic dishonesty” and “Who do you call for help after you’ve been sexually assaulted?”

Brown also reviewed a critical policy on Purdue’s campus to inform students in case of an emergency. On the University policy website, it says the students are protected by the medical amnesty policy when someone else is in need of critical medical attention. It further explains that “the intoxicated student, as well as the student(s) seeking medical attention on the intoxicated student’s behalf, will be exempt from disciplinary sanctions related to alcohol consumption.”

“This is supposed to encourage you to get help in those kinds of situations,” Brown said.

After Shrevehart won the Jeopardy round, Brown introduced the two people who help protect Purdue students 24/7. Purdue police chief John Cox and fire chief Kevin Ply were welcomed to the stage to warn and inform the students of what they can be doing to protect their property and themselves. Cox strongly suggested that students register their bicycles and laptops so that it is easier to retrieve them after they’ve been stolen.

“We talked a lot about choices. Our job up here is to tell you how to do things so you can learn those life experiences and take them with you when you leave here,” Cox said. “We have no tolerance for drug use. You have one strike and you’re out. We are very strict on illegal drug use in residence halls.”

Ply assured students that they are in good hands if they ever reach out for help, because Purdue is one of only a dozen public universities in the country to have a full fire department on campus.

One of the many resources that students can take advantage of are all available through the fire department. If a student is injured and heads to the hospital by ambulance, there is a free voucher if the student was on campus. There’s also a free voucher for a cab ride back to campus from the hospital to University residences.

If students have any other questions regarding safety and property protection, they are more than welcome to contact the police or the fire department directly for assistance.

How often have you used a friend-to-friend payment app?

Peer-to-peer payment services are catching on with some more quickly than so-called digital wallets like Apple Pay or Samsung Pay.