It's officially been a month since the Indiana House Democrats left the state and there is still no end in sight.

Rep. Randy Truitt, R-West Lafayette, said the Republicans weren't sure when the Democrats were coming back, or even if they would come back.

The Democrats originally left to deny the Republicans a quorum. This prevented voting on an anti-union bill but, after the bill was thrown out, their stay continued: This time, for voucher bills as well as amendments to the budget that cut education spending.

While the Democrats are away, Truitt said the Senate and the House are going to continue to do their "constitutional" duty.

"The Senate began hearings (March 21) about the budget," Truitt said. "The House will also start hearing Senate bills."

These won't be official hearings, however, because there won't be a quorum.

"At the end of the day, it's going to require a quorum to get the budget passed," Truitt said, something not likely to happen any time soon. With the General Assembly session ending at the end of April, there is little time to decide on amendments from both Republicans and Democrats.

Rep. Sheila Klinker, D-Lafayette, said the Democrats have 25 amendments they want to propose for the budget.

Klinker also said the Democrats are being fined $350 per day, a step up from the $250 fine. According to Klinker, the Democrats already have paid some money back to the state.

"We all made out a check for $760 to the Indiana State Treasurer," Klinker said. This money was for the first week they were absent from the Statehouse.

Klinker remains optimistic about the situation.

"We're taking it a day at a time," Klinker said. "We hope something happens today that will help the whole situation."

The House Republicans, among others, made a YouTube video singing a song dedicated to the Democrats who fled to Illinois. One line says, "74 bring them home to the place they belong, Indiana, not Urbana, ... " The video is an attempt to make light of the situation, but also a plea for the Democrats to come back.

As Truitt said, "The saga continues."