Indiana House Judiciary Committee delays vote on same-sex marriage ban - Purdue Exponent: City & State

Indiana House Judiciary Committee delays vote on same-sex marriage ban

Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 11:54 am

1:33 p.m. – Public testimonies wrap up, Rep. Greg Steuerwald, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, announces the committee's vote will not be today to allow for "additional time to weigh the testimonies."

1:28 p.m. – Reverend Andrew Hunt testifies, "There is no comparison between the history of the Civil Rights Movement and the marriage movement." He continues, "The time for discussion is over, we need to move on this today."

1:16 p.m. – Eric Miller, the founder and executive director of Advance America, finishes his argument for the panel to pass HJR-3 without amendment. Miller argued upon passage of HJR-3, there are 235 days between the end of this legislative session to Nov. 4, when Indiana citizens would have the opportunity to vote, for both arguing sides to campaign for or against banning same-sex marriage in the state's constitution.  

1:05 p.m. – Public testimonies continue after 3 hours of discussion. Ryan Anderson, William E. Simon Fellow of the Heritage Foundation and co-author of "What is Marriage?", analyzed the concept of marriage and the potential ramifications of redefining marriage. Following his analysis, two members of the LGBTQ community presented their personal testimonies.

HJR-3 or the proposed ban on same-sex marriage in the state of Indiana will have its first public hearing today in front of the the Indiana House Judiciary Committee.

The bill, formerly known as HJR-6, stipulates," Only a marriage between one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in Indiana. A legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized."

Many organizations across the state have shown opposition to the bill. In fact, the Purdue University Senate stated in a document released last November, "that it does not support the language in HJR-6 because it is contradictory to the University's mission of not tolerating discrimination and equality."

However, though the University Senate has released a statement, Purdue University has declined to release one as an institution. 

Additionally, West Lafayette Mayor John Dennis joined a league of 11 other mayors from cities in Indiana when he denounced the proposed ban. Last December, Dennis stated in a brief,"HJR-6 sends the wrong message for our City, for our community and for our state". 

The Exponent will follow up on this story. 

In your opinion, what is the most important factor in Purdue's chance to make a bowl game in 2015?

Have more thoughts? We encourage you to write us a letter to the editor, emailed to editor@purdueexponent.org.