WLPD receives armored military vehicle through federal program - Purdue Exponent: City & State

WLPD receives armored military vehicle through federal program

Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 10:00 am | Updated: 1:31 pm, Tue Oct 29, 2013.

A federal program allowed the West Lafayette Police Department to acquire a mine resistant ambush protected vehicle — that is generally valued upwards of $500,000 — for free.

The Federal Surplus Donation, or the 1033 program, allows the military to donate property that is no longer needed to local police departments. WLPD Chief Jason Dombkowski said that obtaining a vehicle of such caliber was an opportunity.

“I know that this one was an opportunity presented to us ... a very well-cared for and a very expensive piece of equipment that could serve a purpose to save and protect lives in our community or in our region,” he said.

Dombkowski added that there is a caveat to the program as the military still owns the rights to the equipment.

“It is on permanent loan to us. We can’t sell it; it is subject to being called back to the military if they so chose,” he added. “If we decided we didn’t have a use for it any longer we would have to give it back to the program.”

Ohio State University Police Department also acquired an armored vehicle as a donation. Dombkowski said that Indiana University will as well.

WLPD’s vehicle will undergo a re-painting and will be black to reflect a police theme.