Grammy nominated guitarist performs this weekend - Purdue Exponent: Features

Grammy nominated guitarist performs this weekend

Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 10:00 am

A Grammy-nominated artist is coming to Lafayette this Saturday night.

Guitarist Bill Kirchen, who hails from Ann Arbor Mich., plays twangy blues and rock ‘n’ roll on his infamous Telecaster guitar that sounds reminiscent of old-school Johnny Cash, who even praised Kirchen in the past.

Nicknamed “A Titan of the Telecaster,” Kirchen has been praised by many artists and magazines, such as Cash, guitarist Nick Lowe, Rolling Stone and Vintage Guitar Magazine, who called Kirchen “an American treasure.”

A Rolling Stone writer praised Kirchen after a show where he performed one of his hit songs in a review after a Danny Gatton tribute in New York.

“Opening night was particularly special due to the presence of Les Paul and Albert Lee, ... Bill Kirchen cranked up his Tele for a set that gave the crowd a hotfoot, sparked by his epic cover of ‘Hot Rod Lincoln’.”

Kirchen has been involved in the music industry for over 40 years and has been a part of other groups such as Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen and has worked with artists such as Emmylou Harris, Elvis Costello and Doug Sahm.

In an interview with Premier Guitar, Kirchen gave advice to up-and-coming guitarists after being in the business for over 40 years.

“My advice to anyone is to grab that guitar, get up on that stage, and just try not to suck,” Kirchen said. “That’s exactly what I do. I say ‘I hope I don’t suck right now,’ and then I dig in.”

Non-profit cooperative Friends of Bob is hosting Kirchen and his band, Too Much Fun, at the Lafayette Brewing Company Saturday night at 8 p.m. Advance tickets are $10 and tickets purchased at the show are $12.