One barbershop chorus member says that performing gives him an indescribable feeling when all the components come together.

Barbershop choruses and quartets will put all the parts together at this weekend’s Cardinal District Convention and Contest.

Lafayette’s Tippecanotes, a barbershop chorus, will be performing this weekend. The chorus was organized in 1947 and has been preforming ever since. Chorus member Jean Hall shares the excitement of barbershop music by recalling a performance with the Tippecanotes.

“You know when you get a chill and all your hairs stand up? Well it wasn’t a chill, it was a very warm feeling,” Hall said. “What’s really exciting is to do that and have the audience become a part of it, when the beauty of the harmony makes them hear it, see it, and feel it.”

Purdue’s Varsity Glee Club will also be making a guest performance at this weekend’s event. The Varsity Glee Club may not have experience singing barbershop music, but they do have the motivation and skill sets to put on a great show.

Bryce Shaffer, a second tenor of the Varsity Glee Club, looks forward to watching other performers who have a passion for music. Shaffer also hopes to reach a wide student audience at the convention.

“Barbershop is deeply rooted in the culture of America,” Shaffer said. “A lot of people our age don’t appreciate the talent behind the music.”

Fellow Varsity Glee Club member Dylan Simpson shares Shaffer’s excitement about the upcoming performance. He is thrilled to watch the Kentucky Vocal Union perform, a high ranking chorus whom he thinks produces great music. Simpson also looks forward to the interaction with the audience.

“It will be a really great time,” Simpson said. “It’s an emotional experience. Not only can you hear it in the music, but you can see it on people’s faces.”

The convention will be held today through Sunday at the Lafayette Jefferson High School with quartet preliminaries today. On Saturday, the chorus contest, quartet finals and show of champions will be held. Finally, on Sunday a barbecue will be held for competitors and guests. A full convention ticket for adults will be $43, $33 for students under 23 years, $18 for those 12 years and under and single event tickets are $15.