Playboy signing sparks controversy - Purdue Exponent: Features

Playboy signing sparks controversy

Posted: Monday, October 1, 2012 10:00 am

While signing their pictures in Playboy magazines on Saturday night, two of “The Girls of the Big Ten” said they feel no regret about posing.

‘Donna Michelle,’ a sophomore in the College of Agriculture, and Haley Sorenson, a student in hospitality and tourism from Indiana University, were both featured in Playboy’s pictorial “Girls of the Big Ten.” The duo received mixed reactions from people while signing issues at Von’s Dough Shack – some were adamantly against it and some were all for it.

For one Boilermaker, seeing his girlfriend or anyone he knew in Playboy would be worrisome.

“I feel that Playboy is disrespectful to women,” Nicholas Miller, a senior in the College of Engineering, said. “It shows them as objects instead of people.”

Sam Scherer, a junior in the College of Engineering, expressed the same opinions as Miller.

“I feel like it’s giving girls a false sense of identity.” said Scherer. “I think that (the images in Playboy) are either negative – like you should like this and you don’t – or simply false. It’s attracting the wrong type of attention for women. Look at the crowd that Playboy is attracting. Are they really the guys that a girl would want to seek attention over?”

For the women signing copies, this is just something they’ve always wanted to do, despite the criticism.

“Posing (for Playboy) takes guts. If you haven’t tried it before, you can’t really understand what it’s like,” Sorenson said. “It’s exhilarating to do something like this. I’d imagine that most of the people that hate (on Playboy) are the people who would never do anything so daring. Live a little. It’s just a picture.”

Michelle from Purdue also had similar views on the controversy surrounding her photos.

“If you don’t like it, then don’t buy it. I try not to push my beliefs on anyone, so it’s important for others to not tell me that this is wrong,” Michelle said. “What people don’t realize is that the photographers don’t push us to look a certain way. When you try out, you don’t have to be completely naked. It’s made to be a very comfortable experience.”

The Girls of the Big Ten see the pictorial as neither hurting them nor helping them in their future endeavors.

“I don’t want to be a model forever and I don’t see modeling for Playboy as a bad thing,” Michelle said. “I’d love to be a Playmate in the future, but I posed simply because it’s fun and I’m young and I can.”

In your opinion, what is the most important factor in Purdue's chance to make a bowl game in 2015?

Have more thoughts? We encourage you to write us a letter to the editor, emailed to editor@purdueexponent.org.