Concert serves as farewell to senior athletes - Purdue Exponent: Features

Concert serves as farewell to senior athletes

Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:00 am | Updated: 10:50 am, Wed Apr 13, 2011.

When JaJaun Johnson and E'Twaun Moore were asked what artist they would like to perform at Grand Prix, the answer came easily: Wiz Khalifa.

Khalifa, who met Johnson and Moore three years ago at Indiana University's Little 500 race, watched them during the NCAA tournament.

"He definitely knows who they are," said DaJaun Watkins, concert manager. "He was rooting for the guys all the way."

Johnson told Watkins that after four years of hard work, he and Moore wanted to have fun but still be connected to Purdue after graduation.

"They wanted to go out senior year with a bang, so Wiz it was," Watkins said.

The show's slogan, "Boiler Gang Over Everythang," is the brainchild of Johnson and Moore. According to Watkins, Khalifa learned of the slogan, "laughed about it and said, ‘That's nice.'"

Watkins believes the Khalifa show could be the catalyst Grand Prix week needs to get a big show every year and hold its own against the shows Little 500 week produces.

"This is definitely a test to see how well the Boilermakers respond," he said.

Watkins and the brothers of Sigma Nu fraternity share the common goal of achieving campus unity with the concert. Johnson echoed their hopes and said he looks forward to getting together with the University and having fun.

"It's my senior year," he said. "I wanted to have fun and enjoy the year and get a college experience out of all of this."

Along with providing a chance for students to come together, the concert will also serve as a farewell from fans to Johnson and Moore.

The graduating basketball seniors, however, see the show more as an opportunity to give thanks to their fans.

"We're leaving this year so it's kind of like a farewell, but (also) a thank you for the obvious support over the past four years," Johnson said.

According to Luke Zimmermann, a sophomore in the College of Liberal Arts and president of Sigma Nu, a little over 3,000 tickets have been sold. General admission tickets may still be purchased for $30 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Sigma Nu chapter house at 1301 Tower Drive or online at groovetickets.com. General admission tickets may also be purchased at the door for $40.