PHENOMENA show benefits charitable cause - Purdue Exponent: Features

PHENOMENA show benefits charitable cause

Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 10:00 am

From country to R&B, the audience was entertained with various musical genres at PHENOMENA 2012.

PHENOMENA, an annual spring performance, is entirely student-run by the Purdue Music Organization with a collaboration between Glee Club, the Purduettes, the University Choir and Heart and Soul.

During this particular performance the students in these organizations have an opportunity to perform songs that are not used normally for their shows.

This annual concert is also a philanthropic fundraiser to help support the Ronald McDonald House. In the past the Food Finders Food Bank has also benefited from the concert.

Josh Foerster, senior in the College of Liberal Arts, and Amanda Berggren, junior in the College of Health and Human Sciences, are the co-producers of this year’s event. They made the format different from other years by forming smaller groups so more performers could showcase their talent.

“There has been a great evolution of change from the first year that I was involved to now,” Foerster, a four-year performer, said.

“We worked very hard and you could feel the enthusiasm and excitement during the practices for the show,” Berggren added.

Diana Poulin, a sophomore in the School of Management and the philanthropy and public relations chairman, said students have been collecting aluminum can tabs for months as well as accepting cash donations at the entrance to the concert.

“I just have a passion for the Ronald McDonald House,” Poulin said. “The Purduettes sang at a Ronald McDonald House in Ohio my freshman year. It was nice to make a connection with a charity.”

Josh Getto, a senior in the College of Engineering, is the fundraising chairman and has helped out with PHENOMENA for five years. Getto explained that there is a lot of money involved to make the performance possible. There were donations received from various organizations and businesses on and off campus.

The show was kicked off by an explosive performance by Bruce Barker, Purdue alumnus and former member of the Purdue Musical Organization. Highlights of the evening were the beatbox a capella rendition of “Grenade” starring Caroline Ladue, and “Hicktown” featuring Charlie Smith.

As the crowd exited the show, many members of the audience could be overheard expressing their enjoyment of the evening’s performance.

In your opinion, what is the most important factor in Purdue's chance to make a bowl game in 2015?

Have more thoughts? We encourage you to write us a letter to the editor, emailed to editor@purdueexponent.org.