Students incorporate snakeskin, 'slutty lipstick' into theater makeup class - Purdue Exponent: Features

Students incorporate snakeskin, 'slutty lipstick' into theater makeup class

Posted: Monday, November 5, 2012 10:00 am | Updated: 11:39 pm, Mon Nov 5, 2012.

A Purdue senior found people in shock, staring at her in a parking lot, thinking she had just been stabbed. In reality, she had just run out of paint.

Katie Kinney, a student in the College of Health and Human Sciences, was applying zombie makeup to her face and neck when she realized she needed more fake blood. On her way into a Halloween store, Kinney was stopped by shoppers.

“They asked if I needed them to call an ambulance and I realized, ‘Oh, I’m wearing zombie makeup. I’m a brilliant person.’”

Kinney was about to sign up for classes when a friend recommended she take a theater and stage makeup course, which she said she is now glad she took.

During Wednesday’s class, Kinney attempted to mimic Jörmungandr-inspired face makeup on herself. Kinney described a Jörmungandr as a Nordic deity and serpent she recently learned about in a mythology course.

“My goal for this project was to have a ‘snake look’ and still have a bit of mystery,” Kinney said as she reached for more green makeup.

In order to give off the ‘snake look’ as well as fulfill the class’ requirement of applying something other than makeup, Kinney borrowed real snakeskin from a friend who has a pet snake.

Classmate Sagar Purswani, a senior in the College of Liberal Arts and the School of Management, squirmed at the thought of Kinney applying real snakeskin to her face.

In response, Kinney said, “It’s just dead skin – chill down.”

Purswani was working on his own project in class: Attempting to make himself a half-drag queen. This involved him shaving half of his face to make one side look feminine and the other look masculine.

“I looked at my face this morning and said ‘I don’t feel like shaving all of this,’” Purswani said. “But in all seriousness, I thought it would be interesting to see and try.”

Purswani said he asked his teaching assistant for the “sluttiest red lipstick available.”

Another classmate, Katie Azzi, a senior in the College of Health and Human Sciences, said her favorite makeup she has done in the course so far was the “make yourself into an elderly person” assignment.

“I ended up looking like my grandmother, so that was a little concerning,” Azzi said.

In contrast, that was Kinney’s least favorite project and she wishes she would have spent more time on it but also knows she faces difficult challenges with each project.

“You just have to learn to work around the problems,” Kinney said. “The biggest obstacle is usually how dry or oily my face is on the day; it changes everything.”

In addition to applying makeup in the class, Kinney is involved in ZombAid, a charity that works with Feeding America to collect donations for food pantries. Kinney applies makeup on people to look like zombies for their walks in Lafayette.

Kinney also helps friends with makeup, such as one who wanted to be an alien for a Halloween raffle.

“One of the biggest misconceptions with applying makeup people probably have is the amount of time it takes to do,” Kinney said. “For the alien makeup on my friend, it took four hours and is probably the longest I have ever spent on applying makeup.”

Kinney is looking into either going to med school or being a makeup artist once she graduates from Purdue.

“They’re very different things to choose from, I know,” Kinney said. “All I know is through my experiences with applying makeup, I have become more confident in it and enjoy it a lot.”