The Glee Club and its director are proud to have the monumental Purdue song dedicated to them.

This year marks the 100th anniversary of “Hail Purdue,” Purdue’s official fight song and one of the most frequently played songs on campus.

A student named James Morrison, who wished to write a song that would inspire the University’s community, wrote “Hail Purdue” in 1912.

The fight song was both copyrighted and dedicated to Purdue’s Glee Club in 1913. The Glee Club’s director, William Griffel, said the Glee Club is honored by the song’s dedication to them.

“It is very special to have ‘Hail Purdue’ dedicated to us because E.J. Wotawa, the song’s composer, was a Glee Club member,” Griffel said.

According to Griffel, the song is also important purely because it’s the school’s rallying song.

“It speaks to who we are, and what we are about,” Griffel said.

Griffel said he thinks the 100th anniversary exemplifies the longevity of tradition.

“’Hail Purdue’ is the song that every Boilermaker knows and can relate to,” Griffel said. “I hope it is sung for the next 100 years.”

Clint Buechler, a sophomore in the School of Management and a member of the Glee Club, said “Hail Purdue” is a good way for everyone who was, is or wants to be a Boilermaker, to show their pride.

“I never miss a chance to belt out ‘Hail Purdue’ at any Boilermaker occasion and show my pride for Purdue,” Buechler said.

The Glee Club sings the famous fight song at the end of every one of their performances.

“Everywhere from a serenade on campus to a President’s

Council Pregame or a regular show in the States, you are going to hear ‘Hail Purdue’ if the Glee Club is singing,” Buechler said.

Buechler said the fact that the song has been alive for 100 years shows a lot about what Purdue means to all Boilermakers. He estimates “Hail Purdue” is sung well over 100 times a year.

“I think it shows a lot about what Purdue means to all Boilermakers ... It is ‘ever grateful, ever true’ (as the lyrics go),” Buechler said. “Many songs in our culture come and go, but ‘Hail Purdue’ has never faded and I don’t think that it ever will.”