Most guys in college would rather give up beer than have to plan the perfect Valentine's night. That is why Brad Prugar has let Purdue Bands take charge of his romantic evening for the past three years.

Evening of Romance, a cabaret show with dancing and a full dessert buffet, is an annual event held by Purdue Bands. This year's sold-out show will be at 8 p.m. on Friday at University Inn.

Mo Trout, associate professor of bands and director of jazz studies, has worked hard to create the perfect mood.

"It's a completely different kind of setting than coming to a concert," he said. "It's a great place for a Valentine's date."

"We can go to a movie, but we can do that any day," said Prugar, a senior in the College of Science. He plans on taking his girlfriend, Vicky Matuszak, to the show after dinner and a gift exchange.

"We both love jazz and swing music and it's what we both enjoy," he said.

The concert, which features a wide variety of classic music from old musicals and tunes in the style of Frank Sinatra and Cole Porter, promises couples an elegant night out. Dancing is highly encouraged and the dance floor is usually packed.

Prugar has been learning how to swing dance since last year, which is another motivation for him to attend the event. He said he isn't extremely good at it yet, but "I can definitely teach Vicky a thing or two."

He also likes the personal feel of Evening of Romance. "It's like a private dance thing," said Prugar.

Matuszak, a sophomore in the College of Liberal Arts, has enjoyed being Prugar's date to Evening of Romance for the past two years.

"It's very good for setting a romantic mood," said Matuszak. "It's nice to just kind of relax, listen to music, and dance with each other," she said.

"Purdue Bands brings this together once a year," Prugar said, "and it's something special that we like to share with them."