Haraka Fest to showcase talent, significance of time - Purdue Exponent: Features

Haraka Fest to showcase talent, significance of time

Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 10:00 am

The Black Cultural Center (BCC) will host the Haraka Fest show "Time Lines" Friday and Saturday evening.

The annual spring show is a spoken word poetry event put on by the Haraka Writers, one of the four ensembles in the BCC comprised of students and directed by Discopoet Khari B., artist-in-residence at the BCC.

Khari B. described Haraka Fest as an event differing from a "normal" poetry event, such as an open mic.  The performers choose a theme, but each may interpret it differently, creating an "intellectually exciting" performance.  This year's theme is time.

Time is a topic that is universally relatable, said Jasmine Morris, student coordinator of the BCC.  "From the time you wake up, nap, plan, relax, live or die, time rules us all," she observed.

According to Bill Caise, assistant director of the BCC, how people live their lives, specifically on Purdue's campus, is shaped by the notion of time.  

"Many of the students on this campus run from point A to point B trying to meet all of their requirements and have a life," he said.

Morris said basing a show on the topic of time has led to a "more philosophical, cerebral show than (past performances)." 

This year's show will be unique because "not only current students will be performing, but Haraka (alumni) will be participating as well," according to Caise. The alumni have either submitted work or will be joining the performance via video.  

"It is going to be exciting to hear how the Haraka (alumni) address the notion of time and to see how similar or different it will be to the views of the current Harakites," Caise said.

"Time Lines" will be performed  at 7 p.m. Friday as well as 7 p.m. Saturday evening in the BCC.  The event is free and open to the public.