Purdue Dance Marathon executive board spotlights - Purdue Exponent: Features

Purdue Dance Marathon executive board spotlights

Posted: Friday, November 8, 2013 10:00 am

Hillary Henry

Entertainment

Senior

Krannert School of Management

Perth, Australia

Q: How long have you been involved with PUDM?

A: Three years.

Q: Why did you decide to get involved with PUDM?

A: At first it was because my friend told me to apply for her committee, I had no idea what I was getting into. At the marathon, all the families and Riley Kids, and the hundreds of students willing to give up their weekend to stand for those who can't truly inspired and moved me. I left the marathon and honestly reevaluated my life, I wanted to help people, so at first I thought OK I will switch majors and become a doctor, then I told my self to be realistic, so I decided to apply for the 2013 Exec board and got the Entertainment Executive position, and it has changed my life in so many ways.

Q: What are you most looking forward to during the event?

A: I'm looking forward to seeing all the families, oh and of course the big reveal at the end on how much money we have raised FTK.

Q: If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

I would have the power to either be in two places at once, or not need sleep - there are not enough hours in the day.

Kenzie Glotzbach

Riley Development

Junior

College of Technology 

Monticello, Ind.

A: This is only my second year involved in PUDM, but I quickly fell in love with the cause and have been involved ever since!

A: I chose to get involved with PUDM, as I really, really wanted to be able to make a difference. My first dance marathon I fell in love with our cause and wanted to do so much more. I thankfully have never suffered from a serious illness, but I have been influenced by many that have and it's absolutely not fair. Like our motto says, no kid should fight alone and I really wanted to be able to bring a little happiness to someone else's life.

A: If I had to pick one single thing that I'm looking forward to most for PUDM 2013, it would without any doubt be getting to hang out with all our PUDM families for the night! And the talent show, of course the talent show.

A: If I could have any superpower in the world, I would want to be able to cure cancer.  See ya later, cancer!

Michelle Spehr

Residence Hall Outreach

Senior

School of Nursing

Dayton, Ohio

A: I've been involved with PUDM since the spring of my freshman year at Purdue.

A: My mom is a pediatric oncology nurse at Dayton Children's Hospital. I grew up hearing stories about the children and families she cared for. Their stories always gave me a sense of perspective and gratitude in the little things throughout life. PUDM is my way of giving back to these families for everything they have taught me.

A: I'm looking forward to the Riley Talent Show. It gives everyone so much inspiration and is my favorite part every year.

A: I would love to fly.

Annalise Dietzen 

Alumni and Community Outreach

Senior 

College of Liberal Arts

Naperville, Ill.

A: I was first a committee member on Dancer Relations for PUDM 2012 my sophomore and junior years. Before that, I attended the 2011 marathon in hopes to represent club volleyball for a short time. So this is my second full year of being a part of the organization. (And I will continue to be a part of it for the rest of my life as a PUDM Alumni member after Nov. 10)

A: After being a part of Boiler Gold Rush as a Team Supervisor, I knew a lot of people that were also involved in this thing called Dance Marathon. The people I knew from BGR were such an awesome group of people with good hearts and good souls. I knew if they were a part of another large student organization, then it must be something good. Once I realized that the Marathon benefits Riley Hospital for Children, I knew I would enjoy being a committee member, as my biggest dream is simply to help people.

A: The closeness and community within our group. We will have over 2,000 dancers at our event, and all of them have gained what we call MDMS, or a "Million Dollar Mindset." This mantra has come to cultivate "giving your all," "going the extra mile," and doing everything to the best of your ability. I am most excited to experience our entire organization together for this event, all exuding this passion we have for the kids that has arisen from our bond of MDMS.

A: To make time slow down in the most crucial situations so you would be able to absorb absolutely everything within the moment and not miss a single thing ... maybe even our 18-hour event!

Kelli Fultz 

Corporate

Senior

Krannert School of Management

Indianapolis, Ind.

A: This is just year two for me.

A: Many of my friends have been involved with DM throughout college, and I finally decided to give it a shot. Turns out I fell in love...

A: I'm looking forward to taking time to myself to truly step back and witness all that PUDM has accomplished this year. We've all worked SO hard the past 11 months, and I'm excited to just take it all in.

A: Super speed.

Candace Popp 

Merchandise

Sophomore

College of Engineering

Memphis, Ind.

A: Two years

A: I chose to be involved in PUDM so that I can help to make a difference. My sister has been on the Executive Board and seeing the amount of impact that a group of college kids can have is inspiring! And who doesn't like to act like a kid sometimes?

A: I am most anxious for our Riley families to come and experience the marathon with our dancers. Also seeing the excitement on everyone's faces at the reveal is a moment that cannot be replaced.

A: I would have the power to teleport. Life would be so much greater if it didn't always take time to get places.

Anna Marie Corning

Mini-marathon co-chair

Junior

Krannert School of Management

Boonville, Ind.

A: About a year and a half.

A: I had always heard about what an awesome organization it was and I knew I wanted to get involved, but I really owe it to a good friend James Crawley for convincing me to officially join.

A: Seeing the Riley families get to experience it with our 2000+ students will be unforgettable.

A: The ability to make things appear and disappear. Like if I was angry at someone, I could make their stuff disappear to freak them out. And, more importantly, if I was hungry, I could make popcorn appear.

Haley Davis

Athletics outreach

Senior

College of Health and Human Sciences

Naperville, Ill.

A: I have been involved with PUDM since my sophomore year.

A: My former teammate who has been involved with dance marathon since high school told me all about PUDM. I joined because I wanted to be a part of something bigger than myself, so I joined the Riley Development committee and the rest is history.

A: I am definitely looking forward to seeing all of our Riley families. They are the heart of our marathon. I am very excited to see the Riley talent show, by far the best event (in my opinion) of the marathon.

A: To teleport anywhere I want.

Meg Ryan

VP Internal

Senior

College of Liberal Arts

Indianapolis, Ind.

A: This will be my fourth year participating in PUDM.

A: I was heavily involved in my high school dance marathon and, at the time, held several Riley families close to my heart. Now, I hold many more families close to my heart and have had the opportunity to witness many more miracles that Riley Hospital for Children has made happen.

A: I am most looking forward to having the opportunity to thank those that have supported our cause and goal all year long.

A: My super power would be making people sign up for set up and tear down.

Taylor Webb

Special events

Sophomore

College of Education

Fishers, Ind.

A: I was on a committee for PUDM 2012 and on the Executive Board for PUDM 2013 in high school I was involved in their dance marathon (which benefits PUDM) for four years.

A: I decided to join PUDM because I believe so passionately in the cause. Riley Hospital is such an incredible place and they provide hope to so many children and families across the state. A little boy Ben was also my constant inspiration.

A: I am looking forward to seeing the overall total, but who isn't? I'm also looking forward to seeing our Riley kids and talk to their families that we love so much.

A: I would want to be able to make every bad day better for anyone that needs it (if that's even a superpower)

Josh Bring

VP External

Senior

College of Engineering

St. Louis, Mo.

A: I've been involved with PUDM since my freshman year, starting as a committee member for PUDM 2011.

A: I decided to get involved with PUDM because I knew some friends were and it was a way to do more with my fraternity.

A:  I'm most looking forward to being able to spend time with the families, and to look around and enjoy the celebration of all the hard work of this past year.

A: My superpower would be not getting tired and not needing to sleep - that would be clutch.

Natalie Crooks

Greek promotions co-chair

Senior

College of Science

Carmel, Ind.

A: I have been involved in PUDM since my freshman year. I was a dancer my first two years, a member of the entertainment committee my junior year and I am now a member of the most amazing executive board.

A: I was introduced to PUDM because I participated in Dance Marathon at Carmel High School. While Carmel's Dance Marathon benefits IUDM, just learning about DM made me want to find one here at Purdue.

A: This year, I am looking forward to all the memories I am going to make. I have so many wonderful memories over the years and I know that these are going to be some of the best.

A: If I could have any superpower, it would be super speed.

Kevin Blum

Morale co-chair

Senior

College of Engineering

Fort Wayne, Ind.

A: This is my fourth year in PUDM. I was a dancer for two years, on the Morale committee last year, and now I am the Morale Co-chair with the awesome Mike Cavoto.

A: To help those who need it most. Four years ago I went to my first marathon with a group of friends, knowing only that it was an event to help out a hospital and that I should bring caffeine. From the moment I walked in, I was floored by the energy I was surrounded with. Everyone from the Executives to the committee members to the dancers to the families had this palpable energy and passion about what we were doing. That was when it truly hit me that this organization is bigger than all of us; it is so much more than each person's life changing contributions. PUDM is a force for good, fighting alongside the children and families who have been through so much and deserve to be champions. The money we raise does endless amounts of good, but I believe the lives we touch are our true impact.

A: The Morale line dance, of course. It's pretty epic, I can't wait to see what people think about it. Also, being able to hang out with my heroes, the Riley Families.

A: Flight, definitely. It would be so much fun, not to mention that would come in handy late in the marathon.

Marta Tremblay

Finance

Senior

College of Health and Human Sciences

Carmel, Ind.

A: This will be my fourth year within PUDM.

A: I originally became involved my freshman year just because all of my friends were doing it. However once I got there, I fell in love with our cause, and strived to work my way up within PUDM in order to make a bigger difference in the lives of the children at Riley and make a bigger impact on the students here at Purdue.

A: I'm just looking forward to being able to look around and soak in everything that we have worked towards for the past 10 months. Everything started as an idea and I know it will be amazing actually seeing our hard work unfold in front of our eyes.

A: I would love to be able to read peoples' minds! I always wonder what people think about when they're sitting in class or walking around campus.

Justine Geisler

Mini-marathon co-chair

Junior

College of Health and Human Sciences

Monticello, Ind.

A: I have been involved with PUDM since my freshman year as a dancer.

A: My main reason for getting involved with PUDM was because of the Lopez family. Ryan Lopez is one of our Riley kids and his older brother TJ is one of my best friends.

PUDM also held a Mini Marathon at my High School, so I was able to know about this amazing organization even before coming to Purdue.

A: I can’t wait to see the 2,000 students come together for a night of supporting Riley Hospital for Children. Being able to take a step back and see that we are making a difference for the kids. The Riley Talent Show is always something I really look forward to as well.

A: If I could have a superpower, it would be to go back into time so I can relive all my favorite memories again and again.

Ricky Rivelli

Stewardship and education

Third year professional

College of Pharmacy

Indianapolis, Ind.

A: This is my fourth year in PUDM, but I have been involved in dance marathons since high school.

A: I have a good friend from home who I would never have met if it hadn't been for Riley Hospital for Children.

A: I am most looking forward to closing ceremonies.

A: I would want super speed, like Dash from "The Incredibles."

Mike Cavoto

Morale co-chair

Senior

College of Engineering

Naperville, Ill.

This will be my second marathon.

A: I wanted to get my fraternity, Phi Delta Theta, more involved on campus, then just fell in love with it.

A: The final performance of the morale dance and the total reveal.

A: The power to cure any illness.

Alex Hensley 

Greek promoting co-chair

Senior

Krannert School of Management

Noblesville, Ind.

A: I have been in the dance marathon community for four years. I actually started at Indiana University so I did IUDM my freshman year, but then I saw the light and have done PUDM the past three years.

A: The culture at IU is a little different than it is here. Because of how big it is down in Bloomington, Dance Marathon is basically forced upon you so I really didn't have a choice. Luckily, I fell in love with it and after transferring to Purdue, and seeing how amazing the event is here, my passion for this organization and the kids grew tenfold.

A: Since this is my last marathon, I am really going to try to take everything in. In the past, the final reveal has been my absolute favorite part but, this year, that means my time is done. It is a cop out answer but I cannot choose just one thing.

A: Toughest question ever. So many good ones. I would probably go the Professor X route and choose telepathy. There is just so much you can do if you were able to read and alter minds. Persuading students to join our Army of Hope would be so much easier.