Life hacks localized to Purdue's campus - Purdue Exponent: Opinions

Life hacks localized to Purdue's campus

Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 10:00 am | Updated: 7:53 pm, Tue Oct 21, 2014.

Life is full of “hacks” that make everyday living a little bit easier. Life at Purdue has its own hacks as well – here are a few to take notice of on campus.

1. You have your own website

Every Purdue career account is associated with a specific URL that students can upload content to and use as their own personal webpage.

The page can be used to create a personal profile, portfolio, blog or virtually anything students have the ability and knowledge to upload. ITaP computers are also equipped with Macromedia Dreamweaver and Microsoft FrontPage, programs that students can use to design pages and then upload them to the “www” folder on their personal network. ITaP does not, however, maintain the webpages whatsoever.

Click here for information on how to set up your personal webpage.

2. You can easily map out your course schedule before you register

At emilstefanov.net/Projects/PurdueCourses, an online course scheduling program is paired with the Purdue class catalog. Designed by Emil Stefanov, a graduate student at the University of California, Berkeley, the scheduler allows students to select which courses they’d like to take. It then plots them on a schedule so students can visibly see where classes would conflict. The program makes it easy to switch between different sections of classes in case conflicts arise.

Purdue has answered with its own course scheduler program, but it is more difficult to use. The program is less clean and has limited instructions, leaving the students to figure out how to do things like switch lectures or recitations.

Stefanov’s program has an option to print a mock schedule with course registration numbers listed, making registration a less painful experience.

3. Your allotted printing money rolls over from fall to spring semester

Printing in an ITaP lab costs four cents per page. Students are allotted $20 per semester to print in labs, but any leftover money after fall semester rolls over to the spring.

Students should think before buying their own personal printers, since Purdue allows students to print 1000 sheets for free over the course of the academic year. They can also register the ITaP printer network to their personal computers and print to any ITaP computer on campus. All you have to do is log in to a printing station and your document will be waiting in the print queue.

If students are lucky enough to not have a single printing need for the entire year, they can always run off 1000 blank sheets of computer paper and walk away in May with almost a full ream for free.