Letters to the Editor 3/4 - Purdue Exponent: Opinions

Letters to the Editor 3/4

Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 9:49 am

Student responds debate about concealed weapons

Clay Wildt thanks for quoting one of my favorite quotes from Ben Franklin. Allowing students to carry concealed weapons on campus would prevent a Virginia tech from occurring at Purdue. The reason for this is quite simple. If you walk onto campus that allows concealed weapons then you will know that there will be random people around you that are carrying weapons (blade/gun). If you are an intelligent person you will be able to figure out that if you pull out a gun and start shooting people there is a chance a random person around you will pull out a gun and shoot you. An intelligent person would not attack there. If you are a moron you will take your ak-47 go whenever you feel like going and start shooting up the place. Unless you are very lucky it will take the police a few minutes to get there (after they get a call). If no one has a gun the moron can just walk into a classroom and start shooting individuals or firing into a group. If someone has a gun then the moron will have to focus on shooting the guy with the gun instead of engaging in a turkey shoot. That will buy time until the police arrive, or perhaps the moron is dead.

Adam Bundy, junior in the Krannert School of Management

Noisy libraries frustrate student who seeks quiet

I am starting to get sick and tired of going to the library and listening to everybody talk. The only reason I go to the library (and I am sure many others as well) is to get away from all the distractions at home, whether it be an apartment or the dorms. People go to the library so that they can have a quite area to study, not listen to your stories about drinking and partying. Sure, I can always move to a different table or even the other side of the library, but same thing there too. I can even hear your stories over my headphones with music playing. If you are going to go to the library, stop talking and laughing as loud as you can while you are inside and do something productive with your time there.

Ben Song, Sophomore in the College of Technology

Are you in favor of allowing guns on campus?

Write in with your opinion on allowing guns on campus to editor@purdueexponent.org.