Recent research reports Indiana among highest for sexual assault cases - Purdue Exponent: Opinions

Recent research reports Indiana among highest for sexual assault cases

Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 10:00 am

Indiana high school girls have reported experiencing sexual assault or rape more than girls in any other state. This only solidifies the call for Indiana residents, including those in the Purdue community, to address this issue, especially because around half of sexual assaults against women go unreported.

Recent research conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that high school girls in Indiana were more likely to have reported experiencing sexual assault or rape than high school girls in any other U.S. state. Indiana University Center for Evaluation & Education Policy director Jonathan Plucker stated in the Post-Tribune that “we have the worst data in the country.”

Researchers claim that such statistics may be inaccurate since approximately 50 percent of sexual assaults against women go unreported. However, the number should still not be ignored, because it does not change the fact that high school girls get sexually assaulted.

Statistics show that 80 percent of rape occurs between people who know each other. Teenage relationships are prevalent and often, and better measures to prevent sexual assault must be employed. Some teenage relationships continue into college, and students must be equipped with the proper knowledge to identify and prevent sexual abuse.

As long as research indicates that Indiana is among the worst states in terms of sexual assault, strong prevention measures should be undertaken.

In your opinion, what is the most important factor in Purdue's chance to make a bowl game in 2015?

Have more thoughts? We encourage you to write us a letter to the editor, emailed to editor@purdueexponent.org.