Letters to the Editor 9/28 - Purdue Exponent: Letters To Editor

Letters to the Editor 9/28

Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:00 am | Updated: 5:55 pm, Wed Sep 28, 2011.

Reader loves everything “Green Week” on campus

I am glad to see that Purdue has an extensive “Green Week” this year by raising awareness about many issues. However, Purdue should adopt this “green” mentality all year round. The University has made a lot of progress since I started here in 2005 but more can be done to mirror other regions of the country that exhibit excellence in sustainability. For example, Washington, D.C., requires grocery stores to charge a 5 cent bag tax for plastic bags (waived if you bring your own reusable bags.) Purdue can pressure the City of West Lafayette to adopt a similar tax. In Chicago, many places and businesses offer free, reduced, or convenient parking for alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles. On Tuesday of Green Week, the Union offered free coffee refills in mugs, they should have free or reduced coffee refills for mugs everyday.

Purdue should take the initiatives of Green Week and do them all year around.

Lenka Kollar, graduate student

Residence halls need more emergency equipment

As I was picking up Monday’s Exponent, the front-page article, “Students try to save staff member” caught my attention. On Sept. 14, two students sprung into action when a Wiley Hall staff member collapsed in a hallway. Despite their best efforts to revive Joe Powell with CPR, I was saddened to read that Mr. Powell died later that evening. These young women acted bravely. I am a certified lifeguard with first aid, CPR and AED training, so I have a feeling for what these young women had to deal with. After reading the article, one thing concerns me. The article states that in residence halls such as Wiley, “automated external defibrillators are not in locations that make them readily available to students.” There is something wrong with this picture. AEDs (such as the one in Wiley Hall) should always be placed in the open for easy access during an emergency. Granted, first responders carry AEDs, but it takes time for those resources to arrive, and time is precious in medical emergencies. As someone who is trained to operate an AED, I can’t imagine much worse than being in a situation where one is necessary and not having the machine on hand. AEDs have been proven to increase survival rates in cardiac emergencies, so they’re handy little devices to have around. I urge every student, staff and faculty member on campus to take a CPR/AED training course. You never know when you may have the chance to save a life.

Michael McCormick, junior in the College of Agriculture

Libraries are not for frat antics, non-study activities

I am writing this letter to express my annoyances with the fraternity that comes to “study” in the evening times at Potter Engineering Library.

I’m not sure if you’re aware of library etiquette but please let me try to educate you. Rule one: Shut your mouth. I don’t want to hear about your weekend and how many girls you took advantage of. It’s extremely difficult to concentrate when there is a room full of obnoxious neanderthals next to you going on about “how bad she wanted me.” Judging by your less than stellar physique and the amount of difficulty you have putting words together to form sentences I can’t imagine she was all that into you.

Rule two: Leave library resources to those that need them. Not being able to use chalkboards and computers in group study rooms because these frat bros need to be on Facebook is inhibiting the learning of those that are looking to succeed in life using what they know rather than who they know. It is probably the case that your frat requires you to have mandatory study hours because you aren’t responsible enough to make the grades you need to on your own but it is unfair everyone else in the library has to suffer because of it.

Either use the library as it is intended or please leave the library resources to those that will make use of them. Thank You.

Dominic DeSantis, junior in the College of Engineering

What are your summer plans?

Boilers, select the option that most describes how you'll spend summer 2015.