Purdue Athletics faces difficulties with fan responses - Purdue Exponent: Sports

Purdue Athletics faces difficulties with fan responses

Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 10:00 am

STAFF REPORTS

Purdue Exponent

Purdue fans didn’t yield their feedback following Saturday’s loss to Rice University, causing the Purdue Athletics Facebook page to reevaluate its comment policy.

Saturday following the football game, the administrators of the page posted the following status update,

“Apparently a wealth of our fans have a problem with our current comment policy and its application on the page. As a result we will revisit the policy and how we enforce it in this space. However, we do not want this to become a place where people come to vent their frustrations with unsuccessful performances. We’ll be in touch soon.”

The comment policy listed on the Facebook page reserves the right to delete “profane, harassing, abusive and spam comments,” as well as anything considered innappropriate by the page administrators.

Seventy-five people commented on the status with reactions varying from support for the censorship to anger about Saturday’s performance.

Many fans thought they should have the right to voice their negative opinions.

One comment, which 22 people “liked,” stated,

“It’s time to face the facts and not sugarcoat everything. As a John Purdue Club member who spends plenty of $ on football and basketball tickets every year, I’m sick of disappointment and piss-poor coaching. You can delete every ‘negative’ comment you want, but that would make you part of the problem. Expect better, Boilermakers.”

Another stated,

“I know I have a problem with a policy that penalizes us for speaking our minds ... the Purdue I went to taught me to think for myself, not to look at everything through rose-colored glasses.”

While many of the comments continued to debate the status of the football team, there were a few that focused on supporting the censorship.

“I don’t want this to become a gripe page about the team and coaches.”

Another commented,

“This page should be for true boiler fans that supports their teams in good times and bad not a page for fair weather fans to run their mouths.”

Sunday afternoon, the page administrator responded to posts stating they would no longer delete criticizing comments.

“Boilermakers, we’d like to thank you all for your passionate words about our program and your presence on this page. I’m sure you’ll all be pleased to know that we will refrain from deleting posts on this page that are not vulgar, profane or abusive. You will be free to share your cheers and frustrations, we will simply ask that you keep it constructive. We value your presence here and hope you continue to share your Gameday experiences with us.”