Dwayne Beckford suspended indefinitely - Purdue Exponent: Sports

Dwayne Beckford suspended indefinitely

Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:12 am | Updated: 11:13 am, Tue Sep 4, 2012.

Purdue starting middle linebacker Dwayne Beckford has been indefinitely suspended following an arrest Monday night.

Beckford turned himself into police around 11:30 p.m. Monday night because he had outstanding warrants, according to West Lafayette Police. He was incarcerated at 12:17 a.m. Tuesday morning and is being held on three, no bond warrants.

Beckford was stopped on Aug. 20 by the West Lafayette Police Department with suspected drug paraphernalia and a type of synthetic drug.

He has already been charged in Tippecanoe Superior Court 4 with two counts of possession of paraphernalia and one count of possession of a synthetic drug.

Beckford was not listed on Purdue's roster released at head coach Danny Hope's weekly teleconference Tuesday.

"In all fairness to Dwayne, we want to allow the legal system to do everything they need to do," Hope said. "Obviously his future as a Boilermaker is very questionable because my marching orders to him were to stay out of any compromising situations."

This arrest is Beckford's fourth since last June, when he was charged for a misdemeanor for failure to stop after an accident, based on an April 21 hit-and-run.

In December 2011, the Irvington, New Jersey native was also arrested for Operating While Intoxicated and possession of marijuana charges that are still pending. Those arrests led to his suspension for the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl and his dismissal from the University.

He took classes online through Vincennes University before being reinstated to the team in May. 

Purdue now lists Antwon Higgs and Sean Robinson as the co-starters at middle linebacker for Saturday's game. Joe Gilliam is expected to see playing time at the spot as well. 

Hope said Purdue will win with or without Beckford as a linebacker on its football team.

"I think that we have a good handle on it, which means that we don't have to talk anymore about Dwayne and can focus on the game this Saturday versus Eastern Kentucky," Hope said. "Dwayne wasn't out there in the spring and we were getting better, so we certainly appreciate his hard work but he's out of the lineup and the other guys will compete and play well and get the win this Saturday."